• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

supression idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
my suggestion for supression is to give the supressed viewer the clear shockwave efects of bullets like when a stone hits the water to some degree. creating the apearance that your vision is impaired but still able to make some things out depending on the rate of fire.

Last edited:

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Varying the amount of supression is important but an issue I can see with a ripple effect is the motion could well cause motion-sickness of some people.

the supression concept isnt my initial imagination . i was dreaming to invision it somthing believeable . my first impression of supression is that the idea came from a conjured of fantacy

Kevino

Vanguard Friend
Maybe have the screen act like you're blinking your eyes a bit? the heavier the suppression the longer the eyes close(or less you can see through the slit in the screen) ?

Alex

Yes, supression will have a key role in gun play.
I think maybe the screen will shake as if you have a quick reaction, possibly your screen "greys" out for a little bit?

Swaffy

Here's my take, for whatever it might be worth.

The shockwave from a bullet (especially a rifle round or bigger) would create a shockwave effect when flying by an object (a person for this case). Unless it is a subsonic round being fired from a suppressed firearm, the bullet will be traveling faster than the speed of sound. So if it flies closely (note the word "closely") by the person's head then it can [a] send a high amount of pressure into the person's ear causing ringing and temporary hearing loss, and in high frequency (multiple bullets flying by) cause a bit of disorientation. The disorientation can also be caused by the ear pressure because our ears help with our balance. It would be a minor effect unless we're talking about an MG42/MG34 blasing next to our ear. But the trick is this: the bullets would have to fly by the head because that's the one place where all of our senses meet.

VonMudra

The point isn't so much to recreate physical effects of a bullet, but more the pyschological effect that the chance of death actually causes to a person and your average soldier. Thus we are looking at a variety of visual effects which will prevent the player from effectively engaging targets when being fired upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.