• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn! i had good hopes into those! haha

I assume the older british tanks will be in the game ? Matilda/Valentine/Crusader/Cruiser ?
Also, Will there be the COMET ? I guess you know which one i am talking about?
That Over-armed upgraded Cromwell !

Thanks already, Master of Information!
-Squirrel

VonMudra

All of those did not see service in Normandy. However the COMET did see service later on in Cromwell units, so if we ever reach the invasion of Germany, it's a definite possibility.

[JR]Hussar

Ah yes, the Cruiser 1 Comet A34, beautiful machine incorporating a 17 Pndr (slightly shorter than that mounted in the firefly with a lower muzzle velocity, hence slightly less penetrating power) Armour looking ok at 102mm, speed 32 mph and a power-weight ration of over 18hp/ ton (which kicks the hell out of the Shermans 11hp/ ton, but is a smidge less than the Crommies 21hp/ ton)

All in all it was still rather tall, only a few inches shorter than a Sherman, but ultimately it was a better platform with wider tracks, smoother suspension and the engine.....oh the noise that Rolls Royce Meteor V12 makes; anyone who has been to Bovvie or the War and Peace show will know what I'm talking about (I'm afraid youtube clips just don't cut it)....what a machine.

Of course many believe it never saw action which is untrue, as it was in service with the likes of 11th Armoured Division before the end of December 44. It was present at the crossing of the Elbe and it pushed through Germany like the rest of them. I would go as far as to say that it was the coolest Allied Tank of the War, and of course inspired the A41 Centurion which was this nation's most successful MBT as far as selling it to other people is concerned. I would love to see this baby in Traction wars and hopefully the fact that it is a slightly wider and slightly longer cromwell with other asthetics like track return rollers, that it wouldn't be too hard to model and release in a later chapter.

On the note of the Churchill, if you release it, will it have different models including the AVRE (with that flying dustbin) and the Crocodile, those would be naughty pleasures for someone playing on the allied team. Of course the Earliest variants with the QF 2pndr could also be potential candidates (though most were served with the QF.75) I still stick to my guns, this is the tank I'd love to see the most for the allies.

P.S. I saw talk earlier about Sextons....would those be considered? I have no idea how big your maps are, but I haven't seen one of those in a game since combat mission overlord!!! (not a game that I've bought anyway)

Good to see this thread has attracted some attention, when I started it I wasn't sure if I'd get a response at all. I'd say to people opposing tanks, that you cannot have a realistic/ immersive WW2 game without it; I'm afraid infantry shooters just don't cut it, you just need to learn to adapt and overcome armour; provided you use the terrain right, it isn't that hard to do. Although this could potentially be a good shooter given the level of detail these guys are building into it and the environment (and possibly sound, though I'm not sure what the sound engine is like)....it would be a criminal waste of a golden oppertunity to exclude vehicles, in particular armour as armour was one of the corner stones of the war and how it was fought. Artillery would also be a fantastic addition and of course Airpower was another cornerstone, however it would surely be lower in the priorities list due to the difficulties of building it into a game.

I know I keep finishing this post before deciding to continue it, I'm sorry. One more question though (promise this will be the last) will structures be destructible and can physics be adapted so that, say a grenade explosion is more deadly if it detonates is a small room in a bunker than if it was in a field allowing energy to dissipate? I feel like a real tyrant right now as I am stacking all this on you and it may be that much of it isn't possible....it's not the end of the world by any means, the game still has the potential to be better than any other currently on the market, but if it is possible (even as a later patch) then obviously we are talking some serious details and values that this game is going to have over anything that has ever been, literally whitewashing the entire games list and bringing a new meaning to computer gaming. Oh the possibilities! I wish I could see what you see!

VonMudra

Sextons would be considered eventually, as will be Churchills and their variants. As I noted too, the Comet absolutely saw service in the late war period, especially invasion of Germany. I should note a few things though, firstly that the first release of Traction Wars will NOT be focused on tank combat. Expect a max of one tank type per side (the Cromwell has already been shown), as the focus of our initial release is to get infantry done and done right for the British sector of Normandy. The second release is where we will probably see the tank arm balloon into more variants and types. Sexton would absolutely be on table for this.

As for the grenades, I am unsure if that is possible, but it absolutely would be realistic. For instance, a german stick grenade (minus splintering ring) would be more or less a primitive flashbang if exploded in open field, only one that could possibly kill via shrapnel (though not much was made by the normal head casing) or by concussion if you were close enough. However, in a trench or room, the concussive wave created by the grenade head, which carried about 3-4 times the explosive filler as american or british grenades, would bounce off the walls and basically liquify your internal organs. This made taking cover from a german grenade in a room tentatively useless, as the concussion would simple rebound all around. The design was due to WW1 considerations- German troops saw the grenade as an offensive, not defensive, weapon, and so wanted something that could be used with little fear of being killed by it. Instead it was more meant to either kill with concussion if need be, or act as a flashbang, heavily disorienting the enemy so that the assault could be made. Allied grenades mostly followed a different path, a defensive grenade, with only a large enough charge to splinter a heavily crenelated body. One would have to be in solid cover to use it safely, as you were unable to throw the heavy, ball shaped grenade far enough to be safe from the blast, but it could cause much more shrapnel damage.

This is something we really do want to try and represent. American/british grenades have short throw distances with very small explosions but major shrapnel damage. Meanwhile german grenades have very far throwing distances, little shrapnel (unless a splintering ring is installed), but major suppression and concussive effects.

[JR]Hussar

Oh I absolutely understand that Chapter 1 will be primarily if not totally infantry and that is no bad thing as I have already noted, releasing in a chapter stage will allow you to make something available at an earlier time. My suggestions are for the game in general and speaking of them I've had another.

I used to play a game called T34 vs Tiger, in this game players could suffer concussion and brief onsets of unconsciousnesses when struck by another tanks round, whilst this didn't happen on most strikes, what did was focus i.e. that there was a slight rattle/ blur when looking in the sights. This would be another neat thing, but again could always be installed in a patch sometime.

I will go over and have a look at the infantry side of things and see if I can't help people pick their brains on stuff that is more relevant to the likes of Chapter 1 but my knowledge on tanks is quite good (at least it was good enough for one of the manager folk at Bovington to ask me if I'd like to volunteer to be a volunteer during the summer.....unfortunately at the time I lived too far away for this to be viable)

To be honest the game can never be based around tanks, at the end of the day WW2 was mainly about infantry and most other branches were there to support, tanks were certainly one of those supporting factors whether it be clearing enemy tanks out of the area or engaging enemy infantry held up in buildings, MG nests or other fortifications etc etc; however they can certainly be a strong and varied dynamic and the 2 you've produced so far are absolutely gorgeous.

Keep up the good work guys!

So, yeah, First post after that Website bugs or something.

I would like to know how much the tanks' gun will be accurate?
Tigers could hit a particular spot on a Sherman at a 600m-1km
DESTROYED SHERMAN Normandy.jpg

VonMudra

Good lord what is that avatar o.=.o

And considering normal engagement range in normandy will be like 3-400 yards at best, tank guns will be quite accurate.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
I think I preferred the squirrel avatar...

As Mudra says the range at which tanks engaged in Normandy (and Traction Wars) accuracy will not be a major issue

OH OH OH!! LORD JESUS CHRIST!
I probably put that picture without noticing.

I swear i didn't mean to traumatise you guys :D
Yes, i know, i have this sort of things on my PC Too.

-Squirrel

Edit: Here, have a fat squirrel /!\

Status
Not open for further replies.