• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

The Hobbit

Status
Not open for further replies.

brrr

TW Developer
The newest one i scheduled for the 11th December 2013 at least, really looking forward to it!

Then again, I wonder how the 3rd and last one would be like - as I've read the book and I can't really see what they can possibly add?

Maniche

Lots of things for the third film actually. Presuming the second film ends with Smaugs demise (which it should do) :).

.The first major plot point would be Bilbo uncovering the Arkenstone amongst Erebors gold
.Then of course the men of dale and the Elves will march on Erebor demanding a share of the gold.
.Heightened tensions between the dwarves and elves who almost clash in battle
.Bilbo takes the Arkenstone to Thranduel against Thorins Knowledge - this destroys the relation ship between Thorin and Bilbo - but stops any battle ensuing between the two groups.
.Then of course we have the Battle of five armies, the major set piece of the film. Bolg, Azogs son will set out with an army comprising of goblins, wargs and bats to avenge his father.
.three significant characters die in the battle
.Return journey - the end :p

Then there is the necromancer subplot, which doesn't really need to be there imo - they might save the demise of the necromancer for the third film also.

Last edited:

brrr

TW Developer
Woah, spoiler alert, Brrr, for those whom haven't read/seen it, haha!

Maniche
Oh don't be silly :p. The book is over 70 years old now - I don't think spoilers apply lol. I will take out the bit of who dies at the end though lol.

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
I will take out the bit of who dies at the end though lol.

I already read it before, but for the life of me can't remember :eek: (Tell me again and I'll cut you.)

Is that a rule then? You can talk freely about spoilers after X amount of years? :p

brrr

TW Developer
Is that a rule then? You can talk freely about spoilers after X amount of years? :p

I would like to think that's the case :p As long as its after 60 years then its free reign imo lol. Other wise there will be spoiler warnings on things like Romeo and Juliet or even the Bible!

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
I think you are probably right Brrr. The necromancer subplot will probably take up more than we expect - potential for a large hero battle being worked in? Hope not but you know what Hollywood is.

By the way everyone - there is a spoiler tool [spoiler][/spoiler]

Spoiler:
Like this..

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
New trailer for the The Hobbit: The Desoluation of Smaug

and a reaction video to a fan reaction video... ;)
[video=facebook;10151697149436171]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151697149436171[/video]

Last edited:

brrr

TW Developer
Nice trailer overall, though I sort of cringed at the cg elves leaping between the branches - reminds me of the monkey scene from Crystal Skull :p. Also the reappearance of mr cgi face man at 1:05 is disappointing - that character needs to die quickly, otherwise he will risk the integrity of the movie.

Smaug reveal was surprising though, design left me underwhelmed - and he looked nothing like what we saw of him at the end of the first film - so there goes any continuity I guess :(.

Was hoping he would look like this.

brrr

TW Developer
That's the one, I believe its a painting by Alan Lee - who is a designer on the films - just seems that they didn't go with his design unfortunately :(.

So much character and visual interest in that particular design of him.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
I guess they wanted something which looked tougher. We haven't seen the whole body yet so who knows. I'm just glad they haven't decided to reinvent the wheel and gone with an appearance which is along the lines of the old dragons of legend in England.

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
I was a bit dissapointed to view the things that don't appear in the book, but oh well - Hollywood got its way I guess!

I'll still watch the living-thing out of it!

Maniche

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
I'm not very happy about Bilbo being visible in the lair :( At least the people writing the changes actually love the books so hopefully they won't ruin it completely.

brrr

TW Developer
Woot New Trailer time is here!

I'll kind of eat my words about what I said about Smaug in the last trailer - he looks and sound awesome in this trailer, and yes we finally get to hear him talk - voiced by the epicness that is Benedict Cumberbatch!

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
I can't wait but I'm a little worried by the offer of "help" from Thranduil - sounds horribly like a plot adjustment to me but time will tell.

The scenery, effects etc.. is just as stunning as we've all come to expect from LOTR.

brrr

TW Developer
Yeah the offer for help, does sound like Peter Jackson meddling with the story again :p.

But we definitely see the dwarves in prison - because we can see the barrels scene and Tauriel walking past their cell in the other trailer.

Perhaps Thranduils offer to help is not exactly what we think it is. He probably offered them food/hospitality and protection from Azogs Band. But he probably took a disliking to Thorins quest, because it would endanger Thranduils halls and Lake Town - so in turn he imprisons them to stop that threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.