• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

The War Room and Campaign Map (Site features)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin385

Ok, I got this idea from an Mod called Europe in Ruins

When you guys release OVERLORD. I thought it would be awesome to include an War room kinda feature for your mod.

The War room would function as a general place for people to see how the war is progressing as well as the following -

* The Campaign Map - Shows how well the allies are doing as well as the Axis forces.
* Global Stats - Shows the total amount of men lost, Supplies used, and amount of Men and Supplies left.
* Personal Stats - Shows Personal Stats such as
-K/D Ratio
-Medals and citations
-Objectives Completed
-preferred class , etc.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
I like that idea :) - having a "War Room" as you call it is not something I've ever thought of personally. It would of course require global stats tracking however.

Benjamin385

I like that idea :) - having a "War Room" as you call it is not something I've ever thought of personally. It would of course require global stats tracking however.

You could set up a server for this. Then just implement some code for Global Stat Tracking that relays the info to the site.

I know I make is sound allot simpler than it really is :p

But along with the war room you could do a virtual newspaper. You could do an this day in WW2 history.

It is only a thought of course

You could also announce important things like an New Chapter releasing soon in this channel for those who don't check the front page.

Last edited:

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Thoughts are read and appreciated :)

I can't comment on whether stats tracking will be in the mod but if it is that idea might well be implemented.

Bob_Bobber0

I have wanted this implimented as well Benjamin (welcome to the forums btw). EIR/OMG do the same thing and its awesome.

I vote yes.

Bob_Bobber0

I wonder if I can find the post, but I originally suggested that whole "track stats, battles based on war" type of idea. its somewhere around here.

Fuchs

Vanguard Backer
The general idea is good but I really don't like ranking in games. You always get these people 'I'm rank 1 you n00bz you are all 500 l0000l' and I hate those situations. It shouldn't be competive it should be fun.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
The general idea is good but I really don't like ranking in games. You always get these people 'I'm rank 1 you n00bz you are all 500 l0000l' and I hate those situations. It shouldn't be competive it should be fun.

So what would you say about a ranking system which rewarded good teamplay rather the number of kills you got?

Fuchs

Vanguard Backer
Still competive, but you atleast see the rank junkies grouping up to get higher :p

Anyway, a computer can't really recognize real teamwork if you ask me. Assist points are nice but mostly just luck.

Hyncharas

The definition of an AI in gmaes these days is really quite rediculous. The truth is most companies do their best with what they have and; unless you're playing something like Halo Reach, computer AI simply lacks the intellect necessary beyond a mindless display of 1s and 0s. The reason is humans are terrified of giving AIs sentience, so instead they try to wow people with second-hand programming.

Metalbourne

I used to run a website that did just this for Red Orchestra 1, Mare Nostrum and Darkest Hour. It was very tough to setup due to many of the features I wanted to do the servers where just not able to do so we modded each map before the battle to represent parts of the larger units on the campaign map. Campaign maps where interactive for each side and showed only the units that are in contact with each other and if you scrolled over your friendly unit it gave the strengths of each unit and the believed enemy strength. Each side had main orders and a certain time limit due to fuel/ammo/ supplies and had different levels of victory.

Example: Axis Panzer Div under the control of (Insert player name here) has so many PzIV's, PzV's, PzVI's and so on. depending on the size of the map just they can field up to 10 percent of main unit. Germans must have full crew meaning 3 players per tank and the Allies can field 1 player per tank. This made the German crews better but the Allies was able to bring 3 times the tanks to the battle (if available). Their units would be setup historically correct per the campaign so different unit types would have different infantry loadouts and tank type availabilities. Each sector gained/lost would affect the prestige points per side which would affect the reinforcements or upgrading tanks from say 1xPzIV to a PzV would cost 500 pp and so on. We also played 1 life per match so I'm not saying to go only that route but it would be cool if we could say 3 respawns per player and 2 respawns of a tank type and so on from the server/game side. After battle was over an After Action Report would be given by each commander from their side of the battle for the news paper post. Also lost tanks/infantry/arty calls and so on would be subtracted from the main units Strength.

I could go on and on. It was so much fun but a lot of work and if the server/game was setup to help this type of play it adds soooo much to a game.

The idea is basicly like WW2 Online or Heroes and Generals but with more realism and smaller scales called campaigns.

Metalbourne

BoB_Map.jpg

Here was a prototype map for the Wacht Am Rhein Campaign that we did. The final map looked completely different and had clickable features to show sectors names, Map type, how much PP each sector is worth, and Units. Each side could only see their own units and contact units. Units further away could not be seen.

Attachments

• BofB.jpg
    BofB.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 3

litchu

It's not quite released yet. And no, there is no date set yet on which it will be released.

Keep visiting the forum for nice updates though!

Status
Not open for further replies.