• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Things that SHOULD be added and things that should NOT be added

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon

So that you can unlock newer and more powerful Pokemon! I like this plan.

I think that best thing is that you add ranking system but you will only get new image and number (lets says Rank 10) so people who are higher rank should command (not person who got game 4 hours ago) but you wont get new weapons or anything.

Last edited:

hannibaldinski

TW Developer
I think that best thing is that you add ranking system but you will only get new image and number (lets says Rank 10) so people who are higher rank should command (not person who got game 4 hours ago) but higher rank doesnt get you new weapons or anything

Time is really not equal to skill in my opinion.

Ranking is something that got introduced around the release of COD4:Modern Warfare(? i think) and it is bit to focused on the individual. Meaning a ranking system doesn't really fit Traction Wars philosophy. Currently we don't see any benefit of having one.

Simon

Time is really not equal to skill in my opinion.

Ranking is something that got introduced around the release of COD4:Modern Warfare(? i think) and it is bit to focused on the individual. Meaning a ranking system doesn't really fit Traction Wars philosophy. Currently we don't see any benefit of having one.

Well I think its good that you don't add it, but I wont mind if you do

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
Time is certainly not equal to skill but it is equal to experience. I would like to see some kind of an indicator for people who have been playing more, especially if ranking is centered around teamplay points, instead of kill points. That way you can find out who is a good teamplayer or experienced in important things in the game (objective capturing, support, defending). Kills should have only a small contribution in the overall rank, as they often encourage farming (the same things goes for any ranking that works with just a few players on a server).

L4rcher

I think a rank based system (no extra perks) would encourage new players to look at the higher ranked players to take the lead in situations thus, encouraging them to follow/copy/support in the hope of learning and getting better at the game.
For instance you've only been playing a few hours, despite your best efforts you keep getting killed (maybe enough to decide the game isn't for you). You notice someone who is, a sergeant, who is doing much better and isn't being killed. You decide to follow and support. You then realise what you were doing wrong in the first place.

An example of this I came across many years ago while playing MOHAA. I encouraged a friend to buy the game and he had never played on the internet (56k modem, remember) before but was very good at FPS. He was dying constantly map after map and was close to quitting. As I was his friend he told me what his problem was and I encouraged him to continue. We decided to meet on the same server and I watched what he was doing and realised what the problem was. He was doing everything right but at the wrong times. With some encouragement and a change in his game he became a VERY VERY good player.

So that's my life story...

drummer93

I think a rank based system (no extra perks) would encourage new players to look at the higher ranked players to take the lead in situations thus, encouraging them to follow/copy/support in the hope of learning and getting better at the game.
For instance you've only been playing a few hours, despite your best efforts you keep getting killed (maybe enough to decide the game isn't for you). You notice someone who is, a sergeant, who is doing much better and isn't being killed. You decide to follow and support. You then realise what you were doing wrong in the first place.....

good explanation

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
For instance you've only been playing a few hours, despite your best efforts you keep getting killed (maybe enough to decide the game isn't for you). You notice someone who is, a sergeant, who is doing much better and isn't being killed. You decide to follow and support.

True but how would you suggest one "ranks up" to get to e.g Sergeant? Total play-time, number of contributions to allied team (capture-points, assists etc.), or?

Just trying to mend some minds here, haha!

Aniallator

Well, maybe in some cases, but imagine you are alone, people can't hear you on long distances with microphone, and you need to call for backup, your chat is only option

You wouldn't be able to call for backup IRL, and you shouldn't be able to in TW! I'd love to be able to disable the chat.

Aloha all,

i guess a ranking system and an map editor would successfully to keep players in the GAME. 90% of the time you have gamers on open server - they dont want to play in groups.
Most of the gamers dont want an ultra realistic simulation.
How should this exchange function work? Mouse menue like in a role game?
If i see an mouse menue or i have to use all keys on the keyboard to play TW, then TW is nothing for me and all gamers who wait for annother ww2 shooter (realistic like ForgottenHope 1/2 / RO - not like childish games like BF3+ or an simulation like ARMA clowns).
Please keep the game control as simple as possible.
ARMA/Ironfront is an very deterrent example.
Realistic should be the vehicle, weapons and environmental physics.

greetings

friendlyfire

drummer93

True but how would you suggest one "ranks up" to get to e.g Sergeant? Total play-time, number of contributions to allied team (capture-points, assists etc.), or?

Just trying to mend some minds here, haha!

Maybe with kill/death ratio, objetives and assists. Contributions to allied team is a difficult idea to perform.

I think it's important not to be too po-faced about gamey aspects. For many, there is a lot of enjoyment to be had trading statistics or looking over the record of many hours spent in an activity. On RO2 for example I like being able to compare my accuracy with different guns, see how many games I've played and points gained. Kills to deaths also has its place, although I think RO2 does this well by not including it as a public figure during matches, instead using the 'Team Points' figure as the most important.

For anyone interested in sport, you will know that most discussions in the pub revolve around numbers. For any self-respecting cricket follower, Wisden's enormous and comprehensive annual "Cricketers' Almanac" is a necessary purchase, recording innings played, scores, records, batting averages...

I feel that the way the records are kept is important (I believe my suggestion in another thread for alternative ways to gain points, such as a 'humanitarian' section for the medic class, whether treating allied or enemy soldiers, would be a good corollary to this) but that hurdle doesn't mean they shouldn't exist.

To not have records means that each game is held in a vacuum which both damages player relations (there is no signifier as to which player is more experienced) and lacks the gamey and addictive aspect of treasuring one's badges and achievements. We know this works from the Scouts and various researches into reward, so let's not lose it for some misguided anti-CoD crusade, or nostalgia for a time when server synchronisation meant this kind of thing was impossible.

Embrace the possibilities!

Last edited:

Aniallator

I have mixed feelings about a ranking system. A ranking system puts emphasis on the individual, whereas TW will focus on teamwork. In the end, though, I think TW would be better without such a system. It'd be one less thing the devs need to work on :D

mmiedzianyy

I don't know if you guys have played Warface from Crytek. This game has unique feature which i've never seen before - you can appreciate most valuable players by giving them "+". It is very subjective opinion, but it would give us some kind of ranking system which is seen in real life. Soldiers rank up because others recommended them for their service or extraordinary actions. We could give pluses for players which have the biggest influence on the game and it will automatically affect their game level. Ranks would have their bounds, i.e. private will be promoted if he will gain maybe 5+?

hmmmm and have all the Heroes and Generals chipmunks come here and destroy this game too??
no thanks i want (and i think many others as well ) a true war sim and not another Arma (witch is poorly constructed to say the least ). Ro is too arcade to be honest ,
something more like Americas Army in the non commercial version would be more proper,
rl war mechanics is the way to go even if it doesnt have a million players it should be hard as nails so it deters kiddies who hope for cheap thrills..

Maybe with kill/death ratio, objetives and assists. Contributions to allied team is a difficult idea to perform.
kill death ratio???no hell no!!
contribution to team objectives and acts of valour like taking out a gun battery or an mg nest singlehandedly would be more apropriate else we would have a camper party looking out for their k/d.....

I don't know if you guys have played Warface from Crytek. This game has unique feature which i've never seen before - you can appreciate most valuable players by giving them "+". It is very subjective opinion, but it would give us some kind of ranking system which is seen in real life. Soldiers rank up because others recommended them for their service or extraordinary actions. We could give pluses for players which have the biggest influence on the game and it will automatically affect their game level. Ranks would have their bounds, i.e. private will be promoted if he will gain maybe 5+?

can be easily exploited by clans....sadly

Status
Not open for further replies.