• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

To the Devs, Gameplay Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingR

I know this will be a WWII realism game where teamwork will be vital and all of that, but I would like to know what kind of game are you guys intending to develop. Many of us are somewhat lost or confused as to what kind of gameplay should we expect and should we not.

Of course from the (awesome) gifs you posted, we can sort of know what it will be like. I think someone said before that it was going to be between FH2 and PR, but did this change or are we expecting a game closer to PR/Squad now?

I just wanted to make sure that everyone is on the same page and that both the community and the Devs know each others' expectations.

Flare

Vanguard Backer
Yes, it would be nice to see a post by the devs explaining the style of the game.

Personally I imagined something like a WWII version of Squad or PR but more infantry focused. Very realistic and not as fast paced as FH2 or RO2.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
I just wanted to say that we haven't overlooked this thread but it's a question which a single post can't really do justice.

The response to the latest update has been very interesting and does underline that we need to be better at explaining what to expect from TWs and how much of what we show in updates is WIP/subject to change or a stepping stone on the way to something more refined. We are already preparing to try out some simple suggestions made in the next test - the ones which aren't 3 months extra work ;)

Flare

Vanguard Backer
Roger that [MENTION=1]General Naga[/MENTION].

Understandable that you can't quite give a full response. Do you think you could answer this simply?

On a scale from FH2 "run and gun"-----1|-----2|-----3|-----4|-----5|-----PR "Slow and squad based" where does TW stand in terms of squadplay/realism?

Here's what I think most of us are hoping for.

Last edited:

agus92

I feel everybody understands perfectly that WIP placeholders are in play, as to be expected.

On the other hand, I think that people is more "jumpy" to conclusions because the release is becoming palpable and we haven't got a definite statement on where the devs want to steer the game regarding teamwork. I recall some past comments, but the development cycle of TW has taken some time, and the landscape of the competition has changed with the success of games like Squad, bringing a spotlight on this issue. Besides, as you know, there is a modest sub-community that plays Project Reality. Furthermore, this group of devs has made an amazing job of hearing and interacting with the community, and some feel like it would be nice to know what options are in the table to allow further discussion to make Traction Wars great again :p

In conclusion, it would be greatly appreciated to know where the game vision stands in relation of it's competition (because that's easy to relate and understand your point). I would understand if the answer is not a definite one, since well, the game is in development after all, and you just received tons of new community feedback :). But in that case, some narrowing down of the options would still be appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

[MENTION=4097]Flare[/MENTION]

I realize now I spent too much time to write my posts xD

And you transmit your (well, ours :) ) point much more clearer also

Last edited:

Aniallator

I feel everybody understands perfectly that WIP placeholders are in play, as to be expected.

On the other hand, I think that people is more "jumpy" to conclusions because the release is becoming palpable and we haven't got a definite statement on where the devs want to steer the game regarding teamwork. I recall some past comments, but the development cycle of TW has taken some time, and the landscape of the competition has changed with the success of games like Squad, bringing a spotlight on this issue. Besides, as you know, there is a modest sub-community that plays Project Reality. Furthermore, this group of devs has made an amazing job of hearing and interacting with the community, and some feel like it would be nice to know what options are in the table to allow further discussion to make Traction Wars great again :p

In conclusion, it would be greatly appreciated to know where the game vision stands in relation of it's competition (because that's easy to relate and understand your point). I would understand if the answer is not a definite one, since well, the game is in development after all, and you just received tons of new community feedback :). But in that case, some narrowing down of the options would still be appreciated.

Very well said!

Mars

Pathfinder Games
I personally see us more in the realms of RO2. But we’ve never really sat down and discussed what games we’re similar to, we’re just making one we want to play.

Swaffy

we’ve never really sat down and discussed what games we’re similar to, we’re just making one we want to play.

This is what I wanted to hear. I dislike when your game is compared to other games, as if they want a "retextured copy" of it. Though I do understand when they mention gameplay pace and need a way of measuring that pace...

agus92

This is what I wanted to hear. I dislike when your game is compared to other games, as if they want a "retextured copy" of it. Though I do understand when they mention gameplay pace and need a way of measuring that pace...

Afaik, everyone who posted here just wanted to know about the pace, and encourages that the devs create an original game (I do, at least).

Status
Not open for further replies.