• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Well a noob has to start from somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JinxSwe

Im guessing my attempt on the brencarrier/universalcarrier.
Yes I know it's in sketchup but I find it to be extreamly easy and I can allways post it over to Maya and do the endwork.
The body is done and I have started on some of the details. How ever I have no idea what so ever on the tracks and texture. :confused: Oooh well Im guessing I will come to that point sooner or later. Iv only been at it on and off for 2 days. ^^

Dwm2013-01-1402-07-46-59_zps67d7c91f.jpg

Attachments

• WarZ2013-01-1401-12-46-60_zps932479e8.jpg
    WarZ2013-01-1401-12-46-60_zps932479e8.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

volcol

I've been modelling for about 6 years, I started with google sketch up - it's a really really nice bit of kit to learn things with. It's not so good for getting things in game but the easy to use tool and UI help one understand a lot of the key principles of modelling. I would suggest, keep at it with sketch up for a little while - see what you can do, then move onto 3ds max - maya - blender etc. Sadly there's little that will come across so far as modelling similarity is concerned - however the understanding of 3d space will help.

I would recommend working in 3ds/maya from the word to if you want to texture or do anything else with your models - from experience ... Sketch up models can be unwrapped and animated in 3ds max etc - but it's much easier to just go with 3ds or maya from the beginning.

JinxSwe

I've been modelling for about 6 years, I started with google sketch up - it's a really really nice bit of kit to learn things with. It's not so good for getting things in game but the easy to use tool and UI help one understand a lot of the key principles of modelling. I would suggest, keep at it with sketch up for a little while - see what you can do, then move onto 3ds max - maya - blender etc. Sadly there's little that will come across so far as modelling similarity is concerned - however the understanding of 3d space will help.

I would recommend working in 3ds/maya from the word to if you want to texture or do anything else with your models - from experience ... Sketch up models can be unwrapped and animated in 3ds max etc - but it's much easier to just go with 3ds or maya from the beginning.

Well I can say that iv started with maya. How ever I find it extremlly hard and weird with vetexes/faces and stuff like that.... and I get so frustrated trying to do stuff in there. Iv speent hours apon hours trying to learn it and hav gotten nowhere. And I picked up SketchUp so fast. And iv only used it for 2 days.

Sir Apple

Personally I think 3ds is far easier to use then Maya. I've tried Maya, blender etc. but prefer 3ds to any other software. Actually way back in the day I started in Gmax, then moved to 3ds with ease :)

I would advise moving to 3dsmax after you play around more in sketchup, but thats just me :p

TheBuG

I'm personally not a really good 3d artist, but for architecture I tend to use sketchup aswell. It's really easy to use and if you know the way to keep the model somewhat optimized it's actually quite easy to get it working in CryEngine. For anything that has to be animated or uses more complex texturing (UV-Mapping) you will want to work in 3Ds Max.

JinxSwe

Well well im back.

So what do I have now... well it's the m1911
For been a noob I think this is okey.
But im gonna have to say that I did this one by following a tutorial video till about half way then I made the rest by my self.

Dwm 2013-01-16 17-33-32-14.jpgDwm 2013-01-16 17-33-45-70.jpg

Btw dose some one know how to change the rotate point on the back trigger so it rotate in the middle?

Last edited:

Sir Apple

To change the rotation point you need to change pivot point. I'm not sure how to do this in maya though.

Looks good for someone new to modeling, definitely some areas with to many polies/line segs etc. but still, good work for someone who calls himself a noob :p

JinxSwe

Well its the first thing iv ever done in maya.

If u have some tip on how many polies/line segs and stuff I would love to hear them.

JinxSwe

Damn that m1911 looks pretty damn good there. :)

Ty :) Now I just need to a textures and I know nothing what so ever about doing it and dont know anything about photoshop(Im sticking to the old fireworks xD) And then im thinking about trying to add it to the cryengine 3 and give that a go

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
A rough estimate is ~6000tris but it depends on the weapon. Bigger weapons should have more and smaller weapons less.

JinxSwe

Well been some time since i posted... been working IRL allmoste every day...

Im finally getting the hang of this... the bases I made in just one hour... but the small things has taken time becuse of work.
There are still some small things left on it... the sight for once.
After that the next step of me is to learn UV mapping.... then the big one that I really hate... texturing :S

Also a big thanks to everyone... you all have inspired me to finally forcing my self to learn this :)

Dwm 2013-01-29 22-24-23-24.jpg

JinxSwe

Well since there are some "pro's" here I need to ask a thing.
Since im kinda new to it all.

Im making a gun.
What is the best way to make the handle/pistol grip? I know I can make like softer eges but I have no idea if that helps the end product in the game.

Sir Apple

Well since there are some "pro's" here I need to ask a thing.
Since im kinda new to it all.

Im making a gun.
What is the best way to make the handle/pistol grip? I know I can make like softer eges but I have no idea if that helps the end product in the game.

The method used to make a pistol grip depends on what pistol grip your trying to make - some are really complicated, some not so much ;)

JinxSwe

The method used to make a pistol grip depends on what pistol grip your trying to make - some are really complicated, some not so much ;)

Well im tying to make a SOCOM. How ever since im not a pro at this i have no idea how stuff looks liks in a game engine.
ATM its like the pistolgrip and the trigger guard is a bigg lump of squares.

Le0

Pretty good for a "noob". I personally tried to work in max but never really could make anything worthwhile.
keep it up

JinxSwe

Well now!!! Some time since I was here :p Been busy with other things :D
But that doesn't mean I haven't been doing my homework. I wish there was more
to show you but my computer had a extremely hard crash were even my dropbox stuff got corrupted.
http://i.imgur.com/O2XwuNg.png

Attachments

• m145.jpg
    m145.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 15
Status
Not open for further replies.