• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

What are you most looking forward to in TW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniallator

Something more complex than DH's hit-point system would be a deal-breaker for me. But if we do get proper penetration models along with component damages we'll also need the ability to repair, something like ARMA does.

I doubt we'll get any of that of course, most likely we'll get DH with mega-graphics. Unless somebody wins the lottery and gives these guys the necessary funding. Lol.

Initially (in Chapter Two, that is) don't count on anything more than stronger frontal armor and weaker rear armor, but in the long run I guarantee we'll see a realistic armor damage system, hopefully one that would make RO2 proud.

As far as repairing vehicles is concerned, it'd be very unrealistic as repairs of any significance were done well behind the lines, and it's been confirmed that repairing will not be in TW.

Siggi

Depends what kind of repairs. Tracks were done under fire by the crews very frequently, and optics were replaced in-situ.

Aniallator

Depends what kind of repairs. Tracks were done under fire by the crews very frequently, and optics were replaced in-situ.
[MENTION=147]VonMudra[/MENTION] knows more about this than I, but my understanding is that track repairs during combat were very infrequent. Not only was getting out of your tank in a combat zone a big no-no, but repairing tracks themselves was a tedious process that meant the crew had to get out and manhandle the tracks, save for one guy who had to drive the tank onto the spare tracks. It could take hours and spare tracks were generally intended for repairs in non-combat zones; a round to the track area was more than likely to damage other components as well. As far as optics are concerned, I don't see how optic damage could be implemented in TW.

Last edited:
I got optic damage once waaaay back in Darkest Hour. Basically it showed as a fractured lens, which is a clear way of indicating optic damage, but that was a one in a million shot, because I tried to replicate it once, but I never got it to work.

Aniallator

I got optic damage once waaaay back in Darkest Hour. Basically it showed as a fractured lens, which is a clear way of indicating optic damage, but that was a one in a million shot, because I tried to replicate it once, but I never got it to work.

Interesting, I'd never have guessed! Perhaps it's worth having a cracked lens for damaged optics?

Mid-Lifer

No Pay2Win issues. Teamwork will matter. Playing rambo-style kamikaze wont pay off. Bugs wont be allowed to go unfixed for 3 years. Physics will be not-laughable. Forum will be (and is) logical and well constructed. Immersion wont be broken by cartoonish features. Hopefully games will be allowed to take their sweet time to unfold, no attempt at satisfying 10 yr. olds attention span.

Swaffy

... no attempt at satisfying 10 yr. olds attention span.

Man that reminds me of some 30 to 50 minute matches I've had playing War Thunder airplanes in RB (realistic battles). Spend 20 minutes climbing/moving around the map then 1 minute to either die or defeat the enemy plane. Or when I spent forever chasing a guy that is running toward the edge of the map... oof.

The Release.....is what I'm looking forward to the most. Since there has been no discussion of it since, I'm assuming the deadline set for next summer is still a go

Aniallator

The Release.....is what I'm looking forward to the most. Since there has been no discussion of it since, I'm assuming the deadline set for next summer is still a go

Anything's possible but I wouldn't set your mind on it, as there's still plenty to be done before TW can release in a polished state.

Anything's possible but I wouldn't set your mind on it, as there's still plenty to be done before TW can release in a polished state.
BRB, cleaning out the bathtub so I can have myself a proper self execution... 8| The polar opposite of a reaffirming answer. We're doomed boys. :rolleyes:

Aniallator

BRB, cleaning out the bathtub so I can have myself a proper self execution... 8| The polar opposite of a reaffirming answer. We're doomed boys. :rolleyes:

A summer 2017 release is very likely, I just don't want you to get your hopes way up there in the off-chance TW's release is delayed :)

Definitely agree with ignoring any players' requests for gimmicks, and sticking to the idea of WWII combat. We all seem to be assuming it is designed as a pvp teams game?
If it's any help, from the different games I've played with grenades, Far Cry 2 has the best modelling.
And Eve Online, the most successful MMO, has just gone (October 2016) free to play.

Aniallator

Definitely agree with ignoring any players' requests for gimmicks, and sticking to the idea of WWII combat. We all seem to be assuming it is designed as a pvp teams game?
If it's any help, from the different games I've played with grenades, Far Cry 2 has the best modelling.
And Eve Online, the most successful MMO, has just gone (October 2016) free to play.

What did you like about FC2's grenade system? Can't say I've ever played!

To Aniallator:

The FC2 grenade launcher (gl) has a graphic for standing, crouching and ‘shoulder aim’, and each represents a different arc of fire. The gl graphic looks right in relation to the grenade’s arc, the grenade has a good arc through the air compared to where you think it should land. This must be good ballistic modelling.

Several games have an arc that looks wrong; see Firefall for a bad example. The lob shot of a gl, like a mortar, cannot be sighted directly at a target. Players can get used to aiming a gl without the shoulder aim, a few players in FC2 were good at it.

The gl has a reasonable encumberance and is quick to wield and aim, quicker than an MG42 machine gun, as an example. The gl is a single shot slow reload; the number of rounds is carried in the player’s webbing.

The WWII 'tank fists' were propelled grenades so are not equivalent, and the PIAT used a spring (click, boing) with a short range.

Aniallator

To Aniallator:

The FC2 grenade launcher (gl) has a graphic for standing, crouching and ‘shoulder aim’, and each represents a different arc of fire. The gl graphic looks right in relation to the grenade’s arc, the grenade has a good arc through the air compared to where you think it should land. This must be good ballistic modelling.

Several games have an arc that looks wrong; see Firefall for a bad example. The lob shot of a gl, like a mortar, cannot be sighted directly at a target. Players can get used to aiming a gl without the shoulder aim, a few players in FC2 were good at it.

The gl has a reasonable encumberance and is quick to wield and aim, quicker than an MG42 machine gun, as an example. The gl is a single shot slow reload; the number of rounds is carried in the player’s webbing.

The WWII 'tank fists' were propelled grenades so are not equivalent, and the PIAT used a spring (click, boing) with a short range.

Interesting! Will have to look up some FC2 GL gameplay :)

What I look forward the most is actually a great question.

I'm looking forward to making a cup of tea while serving in war. How typical British I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.