• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

What Tank Do you Like (World War II version).

Pick your fav Tank!

• M4 Sherman

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Churchill

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Panzer III Ausf. D

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Tiger I

Votes: 16 53.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Just to be awkward I'm going to say the Comet but seeing as that isn't on the list I vote Churchill. Lousy fire-power (at least to begin with) but not an awful infantry support tank.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
We could almost do with a vote for each nation and then a final between the winners :p There are just so many options otherwise!

Tiger II, Panther, JadgPanther, T-35, Cromwell, Crusader, Grant, Firefly, Achilles, Stuart, Panzer II => IV etc.. ;)

VonMudra

List seems out of place...3 generic Normandy tanks plus the Panzer III.

Since we're voting for fave tank (of world war 2 it seems?), not best tank, I side with either Panzer 1 (for being just so damn cute), or the Souma (for being an overlooked badass).

VonMudra

Course it did. That's what happens when you overload an engine with slabs of armour.

Either way, Tiger was def not a good tank. It had armour and gun going for it, but even the Panzer beat it both in firepower (Panther's gun, though smaller, was longer and achieved higher muzzle velocity and penetration) and superior armour (slopped 80mm plate was superior to the non-slopped 100mm plate on the tiger). Panther was also fast, more reliable once the early engine issues got dealt with, and was simply all round superior. Indeed, Tigers were often replaced with Panthers as soon as possible by generals who could manage it. The real success of the Tiger is far more attributable to her crews than any superiority of the tank. It was, in the end, a dead end in tank development.

Roughbeak

If I'm not correct, if Germany supplied the corps all with the Panzer IV H instead of the Panther and Tiger etc, they might have won in tank battles.
Because the Panther and Tiger were slow to mass produce and twice the cost.

Wasn't there something wrong with the Pz.IV as well? I can't seem to get that thought out of my head.

Anyway, I don't know what my favourite tank is, but for the sake of it, I'd say the FCM 36. First tank with all-round sloped armour

VonMudra

PzIV and Panther were both solid tanks. Main problem for the PzIV was the inability to fit heavier armour (indeed, the front of the turret remained 50mm even when the hull was upgraded to 80mm, and so was easily penetrated), so by 1943/44 it was really at the end of it's design path. The Panther was much superior, but indeed more complicated to make.

The Germans, however, never were able to produce tanks quickly. In 1939, they were churning out a whooping 150 tanks a month or so. The time gap between the Polish campaign and the campaign in France gave them just barely enough time to make good on their massive losses in Poland, and they reached a peak in tank numbers in 1941 with around 4000+ tanks in service, a number which only goes down from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.