• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

A penny for your screenshots!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon

I made USSR Democratic then I boosted democratic party in Nazi Germany and this happened. You guys should get this game (Hearts of iron IV)
I suck at it but it's so much fun doing stuff.

Since it has been a considerable amount of time since I posted here:
29th squadron ranking.jpg

This is the ranking of 29th squadron RFC on February 22nd 1917. This squadron flies the Airco DH.2, a pusher fighter that's rapidly becoming obsolete against the newer Albatros models. I started this career on 23 October 1916 (I'm the pilot in grey), and worked my way up from a mere sergeant to 2nd Lieutenant.
We'll be getting some new planes in a couple of in-game weeks, so I'm excited to see what their performance will be.

Aniallator

Since it has been a considerable amount of time since I posted here:
View attachment 1467

This is the ranking of 29th squadron RFC on February 22nd 1917. This squadron flies the Airco DH.2, a pusher fighter that's rapidly becoming obsolete against the newer Albatros models. I started this career on 23 October 1916 (I'm the pilot in grey), and worked my way up from a mere sergeant to 2nd Lieutenant.
We'll be getting some new planes in a couple of in-game weeks, so I'm excited to see what their performance will be.

My god, I need to get Rise of Flight...

Aniallator

[MENTION=1183]th_battleaxe[/MENTION] I managed to download RoF, and wow! Even on the potato PC I'm using right now, it's fun and the detail is amazing, so I can't wait to get my computer fixed :) I do wish the DLCs weren't so pricey, I may get Channel Battles eventually but nothing more.

@th_battleaxe I managed to download RoF, and wow! Even on the potato PC I'm using right now, it's fun and the detail is amazing, so I can't wait to get my computer fixed :) I do wish the DLCs weren't so pricey, I may get Channel Battles eventually but nothing more.

Did you get it on Steam? If not, you might run into compatibility problems with DLC. And yeah, the DLC are very pricey, but I bought them all during the sales, so that does help a lot. Channel Battles is definitely a good place to start, but I'd recommend checking out the other packs if you intend to play career mode a lot. Birth of Warbirds, Bloody April and Furious Wings are essential if you want to start from the beginning. You'll take your time to get through those first few months, so don't worry about the other ones yet.

Oh, by the way, you'll probably have low FPS on the Channel map with your potato. Mine's not faring much better.

Aniallator

Did you get it on Steam? If not, you might run into compatibility problems with DLC. And yeah, the DLC are very pricey, but I bought them all during the sales, so that does help a lot. Channel Battles is definitely a good place to start, but I'd recommend checking out the other packs if you intend to play career mode a lot. Birth of Warbirds, Bloody April and Furious Wings are essential if you want to start from the beginning. You'll take your time to get through those first few months, so don't worry about the other ones yet.

Oh, by the way, you'll probably have low FPS on the Channel map with your potato. Mine's not faring much better.

Got it on Steam, yup. Thanks for the tips, the campaign seems pretty fun so I may look into other DLCs during the summer sale. Without DLCs, the only planes available are that Albatros and that SPAD, yes? And I assume the Ilya DLC (the Russian one) brings the eastern front?

Yup, the D.Va, the Spad 13, and you should also have the Russian-built Nieuport 17. The Ilya only adds the two Sikorsky planes and the campaign associated with it. You should have the map that goes with it already. There's no career mode for the Eastern front in the vanilla, but I believe you can do some flying there with Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator. Don't forget the skins from the Useful Materials section of their forum. Anyway, practice hard, and watch out for balloons, they winch down very fast.

If you fancy a flight, let me know.

Aniallator

Yup, the D.Va, the Spad 13, and you should also have the Russian-built Nieuport 17. The Ilya only adds the two Sikorsky planes and the campaign associated with it. You should have the map that goes with it already. There's no career mode for the Eastern front in the vanilla, but I believe you can do some flying there with Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator. Don't forget the skins from the Useful Materials section of their forum. Anyway, practice hard, and watch out for balloons, they winch down very fast.

If you fancy a flight, let me know.

Wow, okay! I didn't realize I already had the eastern front and the Russian Nieuport 17, awesome. Not sure why they wouldn't have the French one free as well, seeing as they're almost identical, but oh well. I have to run the game on the lowest settings for 20-30 FPS; it's enough that it's still fun, and I do have a good Logitech joystick, though I'll wait till my gaming computer's fixed before I really power into ROF. Question, is the personal weapon of any real use? I mean have you ever had to use it? You can't see your own character model of course, but if you're in, say, a plane crewed by more than one person, can you look around and actually see the other people? And when making a signal gesture, does your character actually physically do that or do other players get a notification, or something?

Wow, okay! I didn't realize I already had the eastern front and the Russian Nieuport 17, awesome. Not sure why they wouldn't have the French one free as well, seeing as they're almost identical, but oh well. I have to run the game on the lowest settings for 20-30 FPS; it's enough that it's still fun, and I do have a good Logitech joystick, though I'll wait till my gaming computer's fixed before I really power into ROF. Question, is the personal weapon of any real use? I mean have you ever had to use it? You can't see your own character model of course, but if you're in, say, a plane crewed by more than one person, can you look around and actually see the other people? And when making a signal gesture, does your character actually physically do that or do other players get a notification, or something?

If you mean being able to see the rear gunner, then the answer is yes. Also orders are given by both hand signals and flares, and they are physically done. I haven't used the personal weapon up till now, but I keep it handy. It's a comforting feeling to have a broomhandle Mauser in your cockpit, but there's no 'shoot yourself while you're being spit-roasted by a fuel fire'-mechanic.

Your joystick is a Extreme 3D Pro, I assume? If so, would you like to know my button lay-out?

PS: RoF is currently 66% off, everything hovering between €5.09 and €7.81.

Last edited:

Aniallator

If you mean being able to see the rear gunner, then the answer is yes. Also orders are given by both hand signals and flares, and they are physically done. I haven't used the personal weapon up till now, but I keep it handy. It's a comforting feeling to have a broomhandle Mauser in your cockpit, but there's no 'shoot yourself while you're being spit-roasted by a fuel fire'-mechanic.

Your joystick is a Extreme 3D Pro, I assume? If so, would you like to know my button lay-out?

PS: RoF is currently 66% off, everything hovering between €5.09 and €7.81.

Awesome! I do indeed have the Extreme 3D Pro, so yeah, if it's not too much trouble, it'd be great to see your button layout :) I may look at some DLCs, though IL2: Sturmovik is on sale as well... choices, choices...

Awesome! I do indeed have the Extreme 3D Pro, so yeah, if it's not too much trouble, it'd be great to see your button layout :) I may look at some DLCs, though IL2: Sturmovik is on sale as well... choices, choices...

First off: I use the HAT switch to line up the pilot head with the gunsights. Then, it's like this (numbers are the buttons):

1. trigger
  2. blip switch
  3. drop a bomb
  4. drop all bombs
  5. leaner mixture
  6. richer mixture
  7. none
  8. cock guns/clear misfire
  9. elevator trim
  10. elevator trim
  11. altitude throttle
  12. altitude throttle

Aniallator

First off: I use the HAT switch to line up the pilot head with the gunsights. Then, it's like this (numbers are the buttons):

1. trigger
  2. blip switch
  3. drop a bomb
  4. drop all bombs
  5. leaner mixture
  6. richer mixture
  7. none
  8. cock guns/clear misfire
  9. elevator trim
  10. elevator trim
  11. altitude throttle
  12. altitude throttle

Thanks :) I'm the kind of person who goes through and customizes every key binding, so I'll give these a shot!

I would also like to have a look at your settings as I have 3D Pro as well.

Most of the settings I use are factory, so not changed, best thing would be to go through all of them and see which combination would work best for you.
If you want, you can use those button bindings I mentioned earlier to get started, but in the end it's personal taste.

FlyingR

Most of the settings I use are factory, so not changed, best thing would be to go through all of them and see which combination would work best for you.
If you want, you can use those button bindings I mentioned earlier to get started, but in the end it's personal taste.

I had set up my keys already, I just wanted to see your settings out of curiosity :D

Status
Not open for further replies.