• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Community Questions: Ask the Devs

Status
Not open for further replies.

drummer93

They should also have the ability to repair things like broken bridges and HQs and stuff! They should as well have TNTs. As for the satchel charges, by pressing a button or a mouse button, they should be able to set the time. For example 5 and 10 seconds.

broken bridges? too unrealistic!!! D: Take a lot of time repair bridges in real life

Aniallator

They should also have the ability to repair things like broken bridges and HQs and stuff! They should as well have TNTs. As for the satchel charges, by pressing a button or a mouse button, they should be able to set the time. For example 5 and 10 seconds.

Well TNT is unnecessary, seeing as they'll have satchel charges, and they both accomplish the same thing. I like the idea about being able to cut the fuse to shorten the fuse time, that would be cool!

FlyingR

Well TNT is unnecessary, seeing as they'll have satchel charges, and they both accomplish the same thing. I like the idea about being able to cut the fuse to shorten the fuse time, that would be cool!

The difference between satchel and TNT is that with the TNT you can place it anywhere and wait for a long time to detonate it whereas for the satchel you would have a limited amount of time. You could place TNT on a a road, so when a column of enemy vehicles passes by, you can explode the whole column. As well, if the game allows it, with TNT you could destroyer bigger buildings or objects such as bridges.

drummer93 said:
broken bridges? too unrealistic!!! D: Take a lot of time repair bridges in real life

Good point, then maybe just repair smaller things like barbed wire.

Aniallator

The problems I see are that one, TNT (or rather Comp B or P.E.) is redundant, and imagine carrying around satchel charges and that. Two, it requires a detailed animation process; placing, unspooling the fuse, setting up the plunger, and detonating. Gameplay-wise I think it would be cool, but it'd be a difficult thing to implement. The only performance difference between using TNT and a satchel charge is that TNT can be detonated whenever and has a larger blast radius.

siben

You guys got me confused, itsnt a satchel charge a bag of TNT? How can it be less strong then TNT?
About detonating it, i wonder how you will do that, you want it to blow like in those old far west movies where they use a plunger? that would be cool but seems unlikely.
More likely is a short timed friction fuse, or a long timed chemical fuse.

Aniallator

Well, satchel charges didn't carry that much TNT... IIRC the standardized German satchel (Sprengbüchse) was only three kilos. When TNT was used by itself it was generally used in large quantities for the demolition of large structures, such as bridges; otherwise a satchel would've been used. A satchel is just TNT in a compact container, so if we were to have TNT in TW, there'd be no point in having the same amount of TNT as the satchel. You'd have more, thus a larger explosion. And plunger wasn't the right word, I mean exploder.

FlyingR

The problems I see are that one, TNT (or rather Comp B or P.E.) is redundant, and imagine carrying around satchel charges and that. Two, it requires a detailed animation process; placing, unspooling the fuse, setting up the plunger, and detonating. Gameplay-wise I think it would be cool, but it'd be a difficult thing to implement. The only performance difference between using TNT and a satchel charge is that TNT can be detonated whenever and has a larger blast radius.

The animation could be simple by just laying the TNTs (as you would lay the satchels), then take the wire and into a hiding spot, then add the wires to the exploder and whenever you are ready, push it down. The engineers wouldn't have to carry both, maybe one or the other (there could be several kits and all with different purposes). As I said before, TNTs would be used more for putting the explosives on the road or a strategically located place and when a large group of vehicles or infantry pass by, kaboom! This happened a lot during the paradrop assault in D-Day, where paratroopers had to destroy bridges to prevent German counter attackes.

Aniallator

Yeah, maybe if classes have one or more kits available to them at spawn it could work. Engineers, could have a kit with AP mines and a satchel charge, a kit with AP mines and TNT, or a kit with AT equipment (AT mines and whatnot).

FlyingR

Yeah, maybe if classes have one or more kits available to them at spawn it could work. Engineers, could have a kit with AP mines and a satchel charge, a kit with AP mines and TNT, or a kit with AT equipment (AT mines and whatnot).

Exactly. 8)

So this leads to the next question... (dunno if it has been answered or not) but are we going to be able to choose the kit from a specified list like Battlefield 1942/2, or we will be able to choose all the classes in the menu like WWIIO or as we spawn we can all grab the kits laying on the floor or wherever (so we would spawn with our hands only)?

mmiedzianyy

So this leads to the next question... (dunno if it has been answered or not) but are we going to be able to choose the kit from a specified list like Battlefield 1942/2, or we will be able to choose all the classes in the menu like WWIIO or as we spawn we can all grab the kits laying on the floor or wherever (so we would spawn with our hands only)?

Kits laying on the floor? And there will be competition who is faster or have more luck than others? Im not sure it's good idea or i don't know how it would work, maybe more informations? I'll be glad.
Picking up equipment from the table or boxes could be awesome, but before you respawn you should choose your weapon and sidearm, then scavenge stuff.

FlyingR

Kits laying on the floor? And there will be competition who is faster or have more luck than others? Im not sure it's good idea or i don't know how it would work, maybe more informations? I'll be glad.
Picking up equipment from the table or boxes could be awesome, but before you respawn you should choose your weapon and sidearm, then scavenge stuff.

Yeah, like Forgotten Hope for BF1942 or BF2, where the kits are on the floor or tables. Yeah, I was thinking of course it would be a competition, but maybe have the kits separated for each squad and that there would be a designated person for each kit per squad. For example, if the first mission is the paradrops on D-Day, it could be awesome to have every kit laying right next to the C-47s. If you spawn in the plane, then you would be spawning with the standard weapon, and the plane could drop those equipment bags for each squad and from there they could select a special kit once on land!

Maybe you could also just choose your specialty like officer and rifleman, so everybody with the standard weapons (M1 and Thompsons) along with grenades, pistols and knife. Then you could go pick up specialized kits like medic, sniper, AT, engineer, MG, etc.

I'm just asking and suggesting, I really don't mind any, but it would be cool to have something original rather than having like other games.

Aniallator

The way I see things, before you spawn, you choose a class; let's say Sapper. You can then spawn, or change your loadout. For example, standard loadout for the Sapper ought to be a Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk. I, a No. 4 Mk. II bayonet, a couple Mk. II AP mines, a couple satchel charges, and a pair of wire cutters. The satchel charges could be swapped for a couple Mk. V AT mines or a few kilos of P.E. with fuse and ten cap blasting machine.

mmiedzianyy

Yeah, like Forgotten Hope for BF1942 or BF2, where the kits are on the floor or tables.
Yes, FH done it very well but it was fun when everybody could choose their class earlier.

Maybe you could also just choose your specialty like officer and rifleman, so everybody with the standard weapons (M1 and Thompsons) along with grenades, pistols and knife. Then you could go pick up specialized kits like medic, sniper, AT, engineer, MG, etc.
I don't see me spawning as a rifleman and by magicaly picking up specified kit im becoming qualified engineer or a medic ;P This should be choosen before the battle i think..

I'm just asking and suggesting, I really don't mind any, but it would be cool to have something original rather than having like other games.
Everybody is suggesting something, this is the place to do it :)
So now this is my suggestion(similar to what just [MENTION=2108]Aniallator[/MENTION] said) - you respawn as a rifleman with rifle, bayonet/knife and 3? slots available to equip them with every object permited to a rifleman class. On the table or boxes is placed different equipment - grenades/mines/pistols - which you can match to your wishes. OR you spawn with standard equipment for a rifleman or sapper with
..Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk. I, a No. 4 Mk. II bayonet, a couple Mk. II AP mines, a couple satchel charges, and a pair of wire cutters.
and then you can modify it.

Do you remember ending of Black Hawk Down movie? When Eversmann is talking to Gibson (yes, i checked their names) while he is colecting his equipment before moving out from the base? This would be awesome!

FlyingR

It's not like you become qualified or not for a certain kit... you just pick whichever it has been assigned to you by the leader or if you just picked up because you like a specific kit. There's no qualifications for this in the game hahaha, but sure man, as I've said, I don't really mind, I just want something different.

Hahaha yeah! For those who don't know it... The music in the background is amazing! Hans Zimmer is a bloody genius!

If a person carries many weapons, I believe that the weight of the weapons should affect a soldiers performance (speed).

mmiedzianyy

[MENTION=2433]FlyingR[/MENTION] by qualifications i mean "qualifications" :D
When i choose classes i imagine myself that im "trained" to be rifleman or medic or whatever, it's just my subjective perception ^^

Aniallator

IMO spawning then grabbing your gear from boxes and whatnot seems unnecessary. What's the point? It's not realistic... I maintain what I suggested before.

Now seeing as teamwork will be key to TW, squads will be key as well. RO2 did an awful job with squads, if you ask me. A PR-esque system will fair far better, where before choosing a class, you choose a squad. As in PR, squads should be numbered (1st Squad, 2nd Squad, et cetera), and should differ based on their role. There ought to be an AT squad (AT weapons), an engineer squad (charges, flamethrowers, et cetera), a mortar squad, a recon squad (radioman, snipers, et cetera), and a few regular squads. All need to be historically accurate, of course. Only the CO class wouldn't be in a squad.

Maybe vehicles are linked to squads? For example, you can only use scout cars if you're in the recon squad?

FlyingR

I really like the PR team setting. Each squad serves a purpose. CAS, Trans, Armor, Inf etc.
But since this is WWII, the squad setting would depend on each country if you want to implement realism. For example, the usual infantry squad had 12 men. Most guns would obviously be M1 Garands, then the MG, Carbine, SMG and such. There should also be a commander squad, but unlike PR, there should be more than on CO. The vehicle and special weapons assignment should be done before the game starts in order to avoid chaos.

Mirsaneli

I don't know if this has been already answered, but I'm curious if we are going to be able to run while crouching (like in Red Orchestra, which is the only game that has that feature if I'm correct)? It would be nice and realistic to have that feature, cause in real war you don't run from spot to spot exposing your whole body.

Aniallator

I don't know if this has been already answered, but I'm curious if we are going to be able to run while crouching (like in Red Orchestra, which is the only game that has that feature if I'm correct)? It would be nice and realistic to have that feature, cause in real war you don't run from spot to spot exposing your whole body.

I wouldn't mind having crouched run in TW so long as it's implemented well; meaning, you don't run as fast as you do normally, and you're not crouched as low as a normal, non-moving crouch. It should also be more demanding on stamina. The RO2 crouch run is too fast IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.