• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Games to play before TWs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniallator

What! I prefer Empire over Napoleon, Shogun II, and Rome II. It's just so... open. Yes, the naval aspect wasn't well-done (believe me, I live on a boat), but it's fun nonetheless.

I'm a fan of Total War... but I can't help but dwell on how dull the coming releases will be. I mean, Attila was basically an upgraded Rome II. Who knows what may be next. I'd hate to see Total War die!

siben

War Thunder, its the only game a play really, sometimes i also play some guild wars 2 with a friend.

What! I prefer Empire over Napoleon, Shogun II, and Rome II. It's just so... open. Yes, the naval aspect wasn't well-done (believe me, I live on a boat), but it's fun nonetheless.

I imagine it is more fun than those you mentioned (it had its moments), but can't comment as I had no desire to play them! Unlike Europa Barbarorum (or Mediaeval 1) I didn't want to start another campaign as soon as I finished one on Empire. In fact, finishing just the one campaign I played on Empire was a grind, so it was back to the Danes and the first Mediaeval for me! The day I managed to get that running on Windows 8.1 was a happy one.

There's something about the board, the clunk of the pieces, the soughing of the wind and the half-heard lute that makes such an atmospheric campaign map. And EB of course has the huge depth that can only be gained from hours and hours of dedicated, interest-driven, enthusiastic input (the reams of interesting material that appeared to mark the passing of each year for example)...much like what I hope will happen with Traction Wars! ;)

It's still available from various places, there are active forums and there is a ton of mods available. If you can get past the 2002 graphics you'll have a blast. I still think the AI is the best of the series, although DarthMod's Europa Barbarorum AI is also fantastic.

Looks like I'll have to re-visit Empire now then... ;)

Reganknight

I have Rome TW on Steam but I never installed it. I heard there were many problems when it was released. How is it now?

Aniallator

Rome or Rome II? I haven't played Rome, but Rome II is great. Great graphics, a huge map... Total War at it's best. Give it a shot :)

drummer93

Anybody knows something about Close Combat: The Bloody First? The game is belated one year and I don't know an estimated release date. I really like this saga and now with this 3D engine (Unity 3D), it will be more interesting and it will improve some things like the AI and the tactical analysis of the terrain.

Killen

FH2 gets a Pegasus Bridge map in the next update. Looks really good (as always ;)).

I don't think fh2 is realistic, is just CoD with huge maps IMO (and tanks). About arma instead, the recoil of the weapons are lacking too, the death animations too. (They improved with arma3 with ragdolls, but nothing compare to ro2)

drummer93

I think that FH2 have a lot of interesting things. The maps are very well done.

Anyway, I don't play a lot because I have a some issues with the servers (are very very laggy)

Status
Not open for further replies.