• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Games to play before TWs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ts4EVER

Pft there is only one real answer to this question:

Aniallator

Insurgency and Verdun for me. Besides TW, I'm looking forward to Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Project Reality 2, and War of Rights. Ironically they're all on CRYENGINE ;)

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Insurgency and Verdun for me. Besides TW, I'm looking forward to Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Project Reality 2, and War of Rights. Ironically they're all on CRYENGINE ;)

Well what can we say. CRYENGINE isn't for the feint hearted but it is the best ;)

Aniallator

Oh God, don't even get me started... I mean, H&G doesn't have smoke grenades because their self-made engine can't handle smoke.

"So, for Heroes and Generals, should we go Unity 5? Unreal?"
"No, we won't be the next Danish billionaires doing that! Let's make our own engine! It'll be a crappy one to minimize expenses, then we can monetize the hell out of the game to maximise profits!"
"Ah! Excellent plan!"

By the way, thank you @volcol for your work on Verdun! Game looks beautiful now, I can't stop playing it :D

Last edited:

volcol

Thanks for the kind words :) putting so much damn time into it ATM. Expect many more shiny new things and updates down the line. I'm enjoying a few games here and there myself, the new medal system rocks if you have a really good game :D

FlyingR

Good games that are quite realistic are WWIIOnline Battleground! It's really an amazing and realistic game!

I'm currently playing Project Reality, a mod for BF2. PR has a WWII mini-mod which is realistic and amazing as well.

Miller786

Oh God, don't even get me started... I mean, H&G doesn't have smoke grenades because their self-made engine can't handle smoke.

"So, for Heroes and Generals, should we go Unity 5? Unreal?"
"No, we won't be the next Danish billionaires doing that! Let's make our own engine! It'll be a crappy one to minimize expenses, then we can monetize the hell out of the game to maximise profits!"
"Ah! Excellent plan!"

By the way, thank you @volcol for your work on Verdun! Game looks beautiful now, I can't stop playing it :D
bloody well said ol chap, you took the words right out of my mouth!

As for me i've gone m&b all the way lately with some wiiol here and there

Scharfe

Come on man, you don't see TW shoving spam posts on your website. But for a optional game try out Darkest Hour, it is a Red Orchestra Ostfront Mod and offers realism.

Simon

Get Empire Total War, I didn't play it myself (Besides Demo version on Steam) but I asked some friends and they said it's one of best games out there

I'd have to disagree with you there! I thought Empire was one of the weakest ones in the series, so much so that I've not bothered with the series since. It seems they've gone for more and more 'cinematic' (read "simplified eye-candy") games since the first high-points of the series. The naval combat in Empire was laughable (they should never have put it in as the necessary dumbing-down of the sailing process for the average landlubber meant it lost much of its immersion) and the micro-management and foolish AI turned it from a delight to a grind. I must say that the Europa Barbarorum modification for Rome (and now EBII beta for Mediaeval 2) is really excellent, and captures the shivering sense of age and atmosphere from the original Mediaeval: Total War that was missing from the second instalment and from Rome.

Simon

I'd have to disagree with you there! I thought Empire was one of the weakest ones in the series, so much so that I've not bothered with the series since. It seems they've gone for more and more 'cinematic' (read "simplified eye-candy") games since the first high-points of the series. The naval combat in Empire was laughable (they should never have put it in as the necessary dumbing-down of the sailing process for the average landlubber meant it lost much of its immersion) and the micro-management and foolish AI turned it from a delight to a grind. I must say that the Europa Barbarorum modification for Rome (and now EBII beta for Mediaeval 2) is really excellent, and captures the shivering sense of age and atmosphere from the original Mediaeval: Total War that was missing from the second instalment and from Rome.

Some things are really bad in Empire, but other than that its great game.... But everyone has own opinion ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.