• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

How the game is played

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingR

@Maniche I scare myself too sometimes, but then I think about chocolate chip cookies melting in my mouth and everything is perfect again :)

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyingR

And @FlyingR to be honest, I'm against that... I mean, every map in TW will recreate a place from the war, and to have an MMO map like you're suggesting just isn't realistic.

What I meant was to do something along the lines of WWIIO in a smaller scale (depending on the number of players of course), so after let's say Benouville, you already plan ahead to Pegasus Bridge and so on. Unless the Germans push you back to the beach. You could alter the Normandy campaign or replicate it in real time! Non stop action!

Aniallator

So... something similar to campaigns in RO2? We'd begin on Gold or Sword beach, then assuming the Allies win we move onto the next map inland, and continue on until we've played every map, what map we play depending on who won the round?

FlyingR

The thing is that since it's MMO, you could have simultaneous assaults, as I said, either recreate the Normandy campaign or modify it to the commander's tactic. You could battle Benouville while there are paradrops at Pegasus, or something completely different, depending on the maps that will be done in Chapter 1, like a big fusion of all the maps so that it would be 1 very big map, no map rotation. All in the same time, same map, same server.

If the Germans are very good, they could keep the Allies from pushing in-land for a long time. Or if the Allies are better they could Blitzkrieg the hell out of the Normandy campaign.

Sydd

@Maniche I scare myself too sometimes, but then I think about chocolate chip cookies melting in my mouth and everything is perfect again :)
You just had to say that didn't you... I just got out of bed =.=

Btw the idea you're suggesting is like Heroes and Generals but in a linear fashion. I personally don't mind the mmo gig going on in the background and it'd be fun to see who wins the war overall. But the question is, how exactly will this play out to the commanders? If there are enough resources you'd see all sorts of crazy stuff in one battle, things that never occurred.. for example if a commander somehow manages to get his hands on tigers and just sends a panzer division of the ss, which would be made up of Tigers, Panthers and panzer 4s which were all battle tested and available, but to the far north of normandy. Lets say they end up on the beaches and are placed effectively along positions to effectively blunt the attack on the beach itself... Germany wins the war. Historically speaking it was a decisive moment for not only the allies but also the Germans cause if the germans would have held out against the allies on the beaches, it'd have been over right there.

My point is, this will deviate from being "historically accurate" Although it would be interesting to see what the Germans can do if they keep winning and pushing back. So what are your suggestions to this?

Last edited:

VonMudra

You just had to say that didn't you... I just got out of bed =.=

Btw the idea you're suggesting is like Heroes and Generals but in a linear fashion. I personally don't mind the mmo gig going on in the background and it'd be fun to see who wins the war overall. But the question is, how exactly will this play out to the commanders? If there are enough resources you'd see all sorts of crazy stuff in one battle, things that never occurred.. for example if a commander somehow manages to get his hands on tigers and just sends a panzer division of the ss, which would be made up of Tigers, Panthers and panzer 4s which were all battle tested and available, but to the far north of normandy. Lets say they end up on the beaches and are placed effectively along positions to effectively blunt the attack on the beach itself... Germany wins the war. Historically speaking it was a decisive moment for not only the allies but also the Germans cause if the germans would have held out against the allies on the beaches, it'd have been over right there.

My point is, this will deviate from being "historically accurate" Although it would be interesting to see what the Germans can do if they keep winning and pushing back. So what are your suggestions to this?

Err, Joachim.. Get a drink, get a lady and get a room, I suggest some lube as well.

Germany was already losing the war by 1941, with the failure of Barbarossa and the entrance of the USA into the war. Any defeat of the Normandy Landings would merely have made the war last another year or so, plus meant the Soviets could have gotten a lot farther west than they actually did.

Also, there is no actual historical proof that deploying the Panzer divisions to the beaches would have made a difference, and some evidence that it would have actually made things worse for the Germans. If you look at actual beach landings during the war, one thing that is made clear over and over is that armoured counter attacks on beach landings will always fail if the landing is heavily supported by naval and air power. At both Salerno and Anzio, German Panzer divisions broke through allied defensive lines and made it all the way to the beaches themselves, only to be utterly demolished by naval gun fire. At Salerno, the 16th Panzer Division was all but wiped out, taking 70% casualties in their drive to the beaches, with gunfire from British and American battleships literally flipping Panzer IVs into the air and onto their backs. Any drive by the Panzers on the Normandy beaches would have ended in just as much carnage for the German attackers.

Basically, by 1944, the Normandy landings were attacking a foe who was already defeated- now it was just a matter of how fast they could be defeated.

FlyingR

I don't know much about H&G nor RO2, but I don't think so... what I'm talking about it's like WWII Online, don't make it so difficult!! First if we are doing Chapter 1 then there wouldn't be any tanks. Second, assuming that all the maps in Chapter 1 are to almost real scale, then if we put them together, it should take a while to go from one point to another. I mean, if you would like to go deep into enemy lines you could do it, but would it be worth it?

The problems that I see with this, is the map modifications, numbers and payment of the servers. I mean, supposing there are 2500 in the community, theoretically we could be able to play 1250 players each team, at the same time, in the same world/server. That sir, would be ****ing insane. Even with 200 on each side would still be awesome.

Aniallator

Guys, pause a moment and think on what you're suggesting... combine the maps into one gargantuan map? That'll take years to complete, and even then, accuracy goes out the window because there's no way in hell all of Normandy can be remade with the same jaw-dropping detail as our current maps have been. Plus, future maps will take far, far longer.

It's a nice thought, but in truth, we'd be waiting a long time for something subpar in quality to what we already have. Anyway, I'm here to play a historically accurate and just f*cking beautiful realism game, not alternate ending mumbo jumbo ;)

FlyingR

My first post about this stated that it would take a long time, and it would be way after... Didn't say exactly detail, just to scale. Plus, if you want realism and no alternate ending mumbo jumbo then read books, because in the games Germans can win the battles too, and even if the Germans win, we still "move" to the next map which is further inland rather than pushing back to the beaches which makes no sense at all...

It was just a suggestion, it would be amazing... but quite unlikely.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
I have deleted the offending post in this thread which was quite simply obscene and completely unacceptable. The user concerned has been given a formal warning.

We have always taken a relaxed approach toward moderating the posts on the forum but this type of posting is not acceptable by anyone standard and really has to stop. Consider this a warning to everybody.

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
One giant map representing whole Normandy without any loading nor transitions is just madness.

What they could do however, is to have a kind of a "metagame" on the website that would collect server data and display the results of the "war" on a strategic map. That way each battle would not only be a deadmatch but it would have greater meaning.

Sort of like RO2 and the former Battlefield Heroes metagame. The first team to win all maps would win the war or something like that.

FlyingR

One giant map representing whole Normandy without any loading nor transitions is just madness.

It's not madness, it's SPAR-WWII-ONLINE!

Does anybody know what that game is? Seriously, I feel like only a few do...
For those who don't know, WWIIO is a MMO, it's a big ass world representing Western Europe, there's no loading nor transitions. There can simultaneous battles in different cities in different countries at the same time, and between each city there are few kms of distance. It's one, or the most realistic WWII game ever made.

http://www.battlegroundeurope.cz/images/world-war-ii-online-battleground-europe-ingame-map-large.jpg < this is the full map.

I was thinking (as well as mmied) a small scale version, only with the maps of Chapter 1. But yeah, it would take a long ass time to make such thing, but if that would happen it would be the best game in the world, without doubt.

Sydd

Ahh yes, but I was under assumption that allied naval power was to stay out of range and not interfere with landing operations except cover the convoys from enemy subs, because the Germans had their big naval guns around. I still wonder if the rangers actually found those guns that were used as decoys.

Mudra, bring back ask the dragon please :(

Sydd

It's not madness, it's SPAR-WWII-ONLINE!

Does anybody know what that game is? Seriously, I feel like only a few do...
For those who don't know, WWIIO is a MMO, it's a big ass world representing Western Europe, there's no loading nor transitions. There can simultaneous battles in different cities in different countries at the same time, and between each city there are few kms of distance. It's one, or the most realistic WWII game ever made.

http://www.battlegroundeurope.cz/images/world-war-ii-online-battleground-europe-ingame-map-large.jpg < this is the full map.

I was thinking (as well as mmied) a small scale version, only with the maps of Chapter 1. But yeah, it would take a long ass time to make such thing, but if that would happen it would be the best game in the world, without doubt.

Heeeeeeeee-you-Ge!

Damn! This without loading or transitions... what the heck was the graphics like? 8 bits? Anyways, I would love it if they implemented something like this, but.. who commands the units to move around, can anyone do it? Think procedure now.. I know little when it comes to something like this so my suggestions are practically useless here.

volcol

Do bare in mind that a good portion of the art in this game is anywhere from 12-8 years old. Only recent stuff in the actually game was the textures I redid and somehow managed to hack into the game xD

VonMudra

Ahh yes, but I was under assumption that allied naval power was to stay out of range and not interfere with landing operations except cover the convoys from enemy subs, because the Germans had their big naval guns around. I still wonder if the rangers actually found those guns that were used as decoys.

Mudra, bring back ask the dragon please :(

Actually they did find them, and destroy them- they were just moved back and parked a mile or so inland. And nope, allied naval power fully supported the landings with massive naval bombardment before the landings, and then fire support from FO's on the ground. In fact, at Omaha Beach, one of the main factors in getting us off the beach were destroyers that actively charged into the beach, beached themselves, and point blank fired their 5inchers at the German bunkers. The big German naval guns played little part in the landings actually- they mostly focused on attacking the beachhead and landing craft, since they still had to depend on their FO's, who were far more concerned about the infantry attacking them than the battleships out to sea.

FlyingR

Nice Mudra! Didn't know either! They were supposed to be at Point-du-Hoc, but when the Rangers climbed up, there were no cannons. The cannons were further inland, at Brecourt Manor, they were the ones that Easy Company took out and Wynn took a bullet to the ass, right?!

Reminds me of BF 1942, when the destroyers or battleships were beached on Midway and provided efficient naval support! Good times! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.