• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Map Ideas Thread

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
If you have any ideas for maps you would to see included then please post them here. The more detail you put in the more likely and easier it will be to put in the mod.  ;)

Commisar

Besides a titan style map, I'd like to see some urban warfare going on.

Perhaps a level where the tractionists (I don't know how Crysis multi-player works, never played it) have a spawn point (uncappable) at the bottom level of the city and the 'storm have say four underneath the main street (say in sewers) which could be random and unmarked on the tractionist's maps. So the idea is for the Tractionists to find the Green Storm points before they're bled dry, since as long as the Green Storm can come up from multiple positions (like inside some buildings) they'll have the edge.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
The currently Crysis multiplayer isn't really compatible with what we have planned. We will most likely have to create a custom gametype from scratch, although there is a chance the Crysis Warzone (which is the multiplayer part of Warhead) will contain a gametype we could use.

Current plans are for a variant on the Battlefield conquest mode.

Halfdark

(topic stickied)

Well, you'd have to put thought into it, but an easy(ish) map to roll out with an early version of the mod would be something like an operation against the great wall; a small contingent of men have been dispatched to assault a poorly defended section of the wall, and destroy certain artillery pieces. The artillery pieces are blown up, the tractionists win. The artillery pieces remain after a certain time limit, the 'storm win. Easy. I've not read any of the books apart from the first, but I don't imagine it would be too hard to produce a map of a section of the wall - hills, trees, a few buildings, that sort of thing.

On a separate note, do the map concepts still exist from 2142? They were all fairly sound as I remember...

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
The concepts are still there and at least a few will be implemented now that we have a dedicated mapper.

Your idea for the assault on the wall is a good one apart from the fact your assaulting the wall. Remember this is a wall to stop a moving city. Just imagine who massive it would have to be.... your idea would work just as well though on a raid on an artillery position or something along those lines. Basically any strategic emplacement which isn't involving the Great Shield Wall.

Halfdark

Well, parts of the wall would probably be scaleable; there'd be no point making the wall that high in places where the natural terrain prevents cities from entering - steep hills, cliff faces, mountainous regions etc. They'd be climbable by a small contingent sent to sabotage an artillery position, but not by the cities which the wall is (mostly) designed to protect against.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Your probably right there although where exactly it could be set in that area I don't get know. I would have thought thought that the best way to get behind the wall would be a small group of shuttles doing a night raid. Your idea has been noted though and might make it into the official release maps.

newguy

Would love to see mountainous maps since you don't see them often in any game :(.
Perhaps a map involving a ship port could be nice, depending on the game mode. If there was a strategic game mode then this kind of map could be fun. The objective could be to take down enemy submarines or battle ships.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Well we're trying to base all our maps of real operations. So if you can find a cool operation or raid which fits in with that idea let us know!

cemond

It'd be awesome to have available the events of D-Day, both the storm on the beach and the taking of the towns behind enemy lines. I can imagine with CryEngines water rendering, it would be pretty visually stunning. It might be a little cleche' but it would still be neat and provide a neat attack/defend gametype.

Halfdark

Since it's now a WW2 mod, there's a whole list of scenarios lined up for you in the form of bf1942 - I know it's cheating a little, but they're all (most of them anyway) based on real operations, so look at what they did, then look at what they're based on, and come to some sort of conclusion.

I would shy away from Omaha / Overlord / D-Day etc; although Crysis has lovely water, it's going to be very hard indeed to make these most famous battles seem anywhere near as dramatic as people are used to - we've all seen Saving Private Ryan; tell me that wasn't one of the most memorable scenes in film history...

Market Garden / Pegasus bridge might be a little easier targets; we know a lot about them, we've all played them in CoD or whatever, but they haven't been done to death in quite the same way as the beach landings.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
You have a point about Omaha - I was thinking we might do one of the less well known beach such as Gold Beach (which incendiary was heavier defended than Omaha)

Bob_Bobber0

I think Operation Market Garden style maps may be saved for when we release the American Airborne Chapter. But hell yea, its gunna be awesome.

If Crysis wars has 32 players maximum then any landing will look and feel deserted.
There are simply not enough players to make it look good.
Personally I would stick to maps with several smaller fighting areas.

Monk.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
I assume you mean beach landing? In which case I agree with you - although there are certain tricks we can use to increase player density on such a map. However I would be the first to object about a map of a beach landing which felt deserted on a full server.

If we're to do such a historically significant event - we'll do it properly or not at all.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
That probably the best "way out" for us. By avoiding beach and just doing the bit straight after the beach. Still we should at least try to do a beach landing properly.

Bob_Bobber0

General Naga said:
That probably the best "way out" for us. By avoiding beach and just doing the bit straight after the beach. Still we should at least try to do a beach landing properly.

Yea I agree. We could make the beach pretty narrow, that would cluster everybody, although it might lead to some crazy mg fire making it impossible if the sniper is off in his own world.

Hmmm

This is just a quick suggestion and dosent really fit in, but a remake of cod 1's carentan (the bestest mapest everst!!!)