• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

News Update #46: A Relic of Another Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Beutewaffen of the Wehrmacht: Part Two

Following our last update "A French Gem" we continue our exploration of some of the lesser known weapons which will be seeing action in the game.

As discussed in the previous update, the German Army in France was made up of a minority of well equipped and trained units plus a majority of garrison and occupation units relying mainly on whatever armaments had been "liberated" during the German conquest of mainland Europe. These occupation units were often supplied with captured arms, most commonly coming from the country they occupied in order to ease supply issues and logistical constraints caused by the failures of German industry. Thus, the Gewehr 301(f), more commonly known as the Lebel M1886, was pressed into service with many German infantrymen guarding the beaches of Normandy. The significance of this can be illustrated by outlining the history of this weapon.

The Lebel had been cutting edge when it was first introduced in 1886. Though not the first magazine fed rifle to see service with a European military, it was the first to use smokeless powder, imparting a massive advantage to the C19th French soldier. Fed by an 8 round magazine (plus another round on the feed ramp), it featured a very sturdy construction and would see service throughout the First World War despite the obsolescence of its late 19th Century tubular magazine which slowed reload compared to stripper clip fed rifles.

The Lebel soldiered on past World War One, playing a major part in the French Colonial Wars of the 1920s, and even seeing some service with rear line personal in 1939 and 1940, though it had been superseded by the Mas36 and Berthier among frontline troops. However due to German demands for her occupation soldiers, the Lebel would fight on as occupation, garrison, and artillery soldiers found themselves issued with it, re-named as the Gewehr 301(f), along with other French weapons.

To this day, the Lebel can still be found being used in various insurgencies around the world, making it one of the longest serving rifles of all time. The AK47 is a baby in comparison.

Interested in joining the team?
The team is currently looking to recruit 3D Artists, Particle Artists and C++ Programmers in addition to a couple of other areas. If you have experience in game/mod development and are interested in being part of our friendly and professional team then please head over to our recruitment page for further details.

For the very latest media and updates follow us on the social networks below as well as our community forum.

DerJoachim

And finally, a developer that understand this and actually make it in the game.

Infact German army had a massive quantity of foreign weapons (and used them too) .

Well, as long you dont make the Chauchat playable for germans, i cant complain lmao.

Great job Naga, i like the fact that you know this and making it in the game, now, work on the Panhard too!!! schnell!!

(just kiddin ofcourse)

On a serious note, just asking, will you make the Panhard playable for Germans???

VonMudra

Unfortunately, the info I find is that the Panhard was mostly used on the Eastern Front. There were quite a few French tanks that saw service in Normandy during the first weeks (and some other things we have in store), so those may make an appearance in one of the later, armour-centric releases.

Koenigstiger

Awesome to see emphasis on what Germany really had in terms of weaponry and not just ye 'ole MP40's and FG42's raining down from the sky as gifts from almighty Über Hans himself.

also CoH released a new trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELt...outube.com/watch?v=ELtWMYXisnw&has_verified=1

The gun the Axis soldier is using has bugged the hell out of me, I know it was a product of the captured weapons policy but wasn't sure which

is it the Berthier?, this has been bothering me since I saw it :D

VonMudra

It looks like it's just a Springfield or something on first glance, only they reversed the frames so that the bolt is appearing on the 'wrong' side of the gun. Also, it is totally missing the wood top of the stock, you can see that the metal ring that holds it on is basically holding on to air.

Mother of God...

I admit, I wasn't expecting That. It's beautiful! So that was what you were up to, [MENTION=147]VonMudra[/MENTION].

Does it come with a spike? :)

VonMudra

Mother of God...

I admit, I wasn't expecting That. It's beautiful! So that was what you were up to, @VonMudra.

Does it come with a spike? :)

While yes I do have a lot to do with what gets made, please give all credit to [MENTION=750]Strayferret[/MENTION] for being the maker. I just do the research and point in the right direction, the artists on the team are the ones who make it come to life. :)

Roughbeak

Many thanks @Strayferret, the model is absolutely superb, not forgetting to mention the textures are spectacular. I love the fact that even these lesser known weapons receive special attention and high praise. Thank you TW team! :)

*I realize this might still be WIP, but the serial number on the stock looks a bit too clean?

Indeed. Well done @Strayferret. The tubular magazine did spark my interest, though. It turns out this thing will be a pain in the neck to reload.
This guy gives some more information about the handling of the rifle. Reload takes place near the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.