• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

News Update #51: Operation Deadstick (Part 2/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
As we revealed last month, the operation we have based Traction Wars is one of the most pivotal events in the D-Day Landings, the capture of Pegasus Bridge. This week we want to begin to explore how we have taken the events of that night into the game.

Disclaimer:
Some areas are Work in Progress and subject of change. Gameplay testing may result in some changes.

As you would expect, the game centres on Pegasus Bridge itself. Whichever team can effectively take and then hold this iconic bridge will dictate the outcome of the game. This natural chokepoint funnels and focuses the flow of PvP combat – the river is deep and wide making the bridge the only route across the Caen Canal. To avoid some element of frustration, the Level Designers have carefully added obstacles for cover in order to provide some form of balance between the two sides.

Meanwhile, the Artists have modelled the bridge to its exact specification – this allows the players to take advantage of the two flanks on the bridge and to climb the stairs to the engine room for an elevated vantage point. In the distance you can see the Café Gondree, which is still open today. Beyond the café the countryside opens out providing interesting and varied opportunities for flanking and larger tactical manoeuvres further inland, as the British 6th Airborne advance to capture Bénouville town.

Looking South-East, we can see the terrain is open with some cover in the form of craters, ditches and elevation changes along the boundary lines. The dense vegetation will make a prone soldier a difficult target to spot, and make for some nerve wrecking manoeuvres in the dark of the night. For those of you with eagle eyes, you can just see the gliders the British arrived in too.

This final shot from the editor shows the German perspective of the iconic bridge area with the German entrenchments on the British side in the distance. The café and wall provide some hard cover for the defenders from both across the bridge and the surrounding countryside, as well as being a good target to take control over due to its strategic position.

If Pegasus Bridge is captured, the 6th Airborne and 7th Paras must defend the bridges from counterattacks throughout the night and early hours of the morning until relief arrives from Lord Lovat's Commandos at Sword Beach. So rest assured, there will be another iteration which further expands to the events which took place on 6th June!

That's all for this time. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for Pegasus Part 3, teasers and more articles soon!

Last edited:

Killen

Ahw my gawd that's awesome!!!! This update deserved the wait! So, there will be cycle between day and night :) f***ing awesome!

Sydd

This news update popped out of thin air.. wow!

But looks damn pretty you guys.. especially the night stills.. speaking of.. I am guessing this means that there will be combat during the night time as well? :O *loads tracer rounds on the mg34*

FlyingR

Very good job devs! This looks so nice! It all looks so real! It is amazing how the Germans really didn't hear the gliders along being some meters away from the bridge! My questions are the following:

1) Will the Brits spawn in the gliders all the time? Or there are as well some other designated spawn points?

2) How big will the map be? 1x1km or 2x2km?

Aniallator

My eyes legitimately just watered.

Amazing stuff, devs! Can't wait to defend Bénouville bridge for the Fatherland :D

Last edited:

Killen

Here's my suggestion: british spawns in or near gliders and take the bridge in few minutes (2 or 3). Nazis wait until the countdown comes to 0 and then spawn too. So british have time to displace machineguns and prepare for the counterattack. Tell me if i am right :3
PS: i don't feel to open a new thread

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
Very nice, the map is looking pretty believable. I just love all the small details like the bicycle against the wall and the telephone in the guardhouse! xD

Sydd

Here's my suggestion: british spawns in or near gliders and take the bridge in few minutes (2 or 3). Nazis wait until the countdown comes to 0 and then spawn too. So british have time to displace machineguns and prepare for the counterattack. Tell me if i am right :3
PS: i don't feel to open a new thread

While I definitely do not mind waiting for the countdown, I know many wont mind at all.. there will be several people who will complain about it being unfair etc etc. Trust me you have no idea what sort of idiots will be showing up upon release. That's my only fear for this game, I love the community in its current state but once the idiots show up, RIP.

Getting back on topic, what if the Brits spawn in strategic spots and the Germans at their initial spawn points. this would mean that the Germans have less time to react and the Brits initially have the upper hand, just like they did after they landed. Ofc its not an element of surprise but we can consider that the Germans now realize Brits are here and they don't have much time to defend the bridge. Also Francesco I really don't intend to pick on you but please don't call them Nazis? Axis or Germans will do just fine.. You never know who might get offended and start a flame war.

Killen

While I definitely do not mind waiting for the countdown, I know many wont mind at all.. there will be several people who will complain about it being unfair etc etc. Trust me you have no idea what sort of idiots will be showing up upon release. That's my only fear for this game, I love the community in its current state but once the idiots show up, RIP.

Getting back on topic, what if the Brits spawn in strategic spots and the Germans at their initial spawn points. this would mean that the Germans have less time to react and the Brits initially have the upper hand, just like they did after they landed. Ofc its not an element of surprise but we can consider that the Germans now realize Brits are here and they don't have much time to defend the bridge. Also Francesco I really don't intend to pick on you but please don't call them Nazis? Axis or Germans will do just fine.. You never know who might get offended and start a flame war.

Don't worry mate, my fault. I'll call them Germans. Back to topic: you mean that british spawns 100 meters from pegasus bridge, and Germans spawns 1 km away from the bridge? It could be interesting too!
About idiots things; this game is hardcore-like, once the idiots play this game will find it too hard to understand.
furthermore some idiots will come here surely but they can improve however. If we are a big family (aren't we? ;)) we could teach them right? :D
PS: tell me my grammar error that i made, i want to correct myself until i become a master ^-^
PS2: what does "i really don't intend to pick on you" means? Like "i don't want to offend you"?

Well, the idiots phenomena will die on its own after some time, usually due to getting killed all the time by people who know what they are doing, and who have some experience with teamwork.

Also, I don't think having a timer in the beginning of the round is the best solution. I think that you can get the same effect with careful placing of spawning locations and a somewhat longer respawn time for the Germans. Of course, this is a feature that should be playtested on a full server to be able to determine the correct timing so it doesn't become a lopsided map.

Sydd

Well I have noticed that our opinions have differences, example: You prefer the mag on the mg, I prefer the belt. Among others, which gives me a small hint that I may present myself in a manner that I am picking on you due to differences in opinion. I've been on many forums to know well enough that many would actually be offended and get the false idea that I may be picking on them and be considered a troll and perhaps, even reported. Therefore being as discreet and as polite as I can be, I used the words "i don't mean to pick on you" instead of "I dont mean to offend you" They more or less mean the same thing so take your pick ;)

We wouldn't mind teaching those willing to learn, I believe idiots would be put under the category of too ignorant to be willing to learn. I can bet 10 cookies right now and tell you that there will be atleast 1 thread in the future which will say

"OMG this game sucks! where is the cross-hair? Where is the hit-marker? Why arent there red indicators over the enemies? Why cant I lone wolf? This game is too difficult, nerf one hit kill guns, all guns 1hk on the upper body, nerf, too op."

Btw, my grammar sucks, I'm afraid I will have to turn you down on that offer, there are a lot of people who know what they write. Heinrich Springer imo, is very well versed in his grammar, if I could portray myself like he does... I could probably own all the damn oil wells from stupid rich Americans here in Dubai. Oh and my laziness spares me the trouble of looking for your grammatical errors. As long as I can understand what you are trying to say, your grammar is good in my books.

Back on topic, yeah kind of like that, What I actually meant was brits spawn in locations where they are closer to slowing the germans down, so lets say a building that can see whats happening on the other side of the river, or something of the sorts but yes more or less what you said. Something that gives the Brits an initial advantage.

Killen

Can devs make a random pick system that choose how many german players go on the Front? Aww gosh, right now i am thinking that maybe this will create the same problems as other solutions (like spawn-delaying)

Timberwolf

Those pictures look awesome! I can't remember the last time I played a map that involved the Pegasus bridge.

Hello fellas, I'm the new guy. ^^;

Status
Not open for further replies.