• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Picture of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannibaldinski

TW Developer

"American forces train in Northern Ireland on June 24, 1942, to prepare for a "second front." The trainees leap across a stream amid explosions simulating shellfire."

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games

The Javelin was a veteran among the Navy’s larger destroyers, having achieved fame through her exploits during the Narvik operation in April 1940, when she had been commanded by no lesser a public figure than Lord Louis Mountbatten – then a mere Captain RN! (In 1942 he was appointed Chief of Combined Operations; from 1943 until 1946 he was Commander-in-Chief of Allied Forces in South-East Asia; and in 1947 and 1948 he was our last Viceroy of India. He was an uncle of the Duke of Edinburgh and, not surprisingly, he eventually became one of Britain’s eight Admirals of the Fleet.

VonMudra

"American forces train in Northern Ireland on June 24, 1942, to prepare for a "second front." The trainees leap across a stream amid explosions simulating shellfire."

Considering they have SMLE rifles, British helmets, unforms, and web gear, I can't help but wonder if that caption is wrong.

Just saying ;)

Troops of 1 Kings Own Scottish Borderers (KOSB), 9th Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division, firing a captured Hotchkiss machine gun during street fighting in Caen, 10 July 1944.
Courtesy of the IWM.

volcol

I can tell by the glint of light under the muzzle, that its an smle nose cap reflecting the sun. Could be American troops training in British gear? Or more likely another nationality (polish, free French etc) if not English.

VonMudra

As a follow up to my previous image:

Polish cavalry, possibly of the Wołyńska Brigade, falling back through the bombed out town of Sochaczew during the fighting retreat back to Warsaw. By this point the Polish mobile defensive plan was still functioning more or less, as the Poles made their way back to the defensive lines along the Vistula, still waiting for the never-coming French offensive.

Far from the classic myth of "cavalry charges on tanks", the Polish cavalry was a modernized, trained anti-tank force, meant to plug and hold gaps against German armoured spearheads to allow the infantry to continue the retreat to the Vistula. The cavalry fulfilled this role extremely capable, and accounted for about half of the 1400 German tanks which were knocked out in the campaign (of which about 850 total were destroyed permanently, from a starting number of 2000 tanks). There were about 2 dozen or so cavalry charges during the campaign, of which all but 2 were victorious, and none were ever against tanks. Maybe I'll post more about the mythos tomorrow ;)

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Not sure what this was about, but this pictures is a bit out of the ordinary. :)

I could be wrong but I think I've seen this picture before, that image had a caption saying the image was taken in the immediate aftermath of a kamikaze attack on a US aircraft carrier in the Pacific.

Roughbeak

This is an interesting photo here.
It somewhat looks like a German soldier (although it could be a US soldier) with a captured M1 Carbine.

VonMudra

Can't really tell with the trousers or shirt, basically all the things I could use to ID are hidden. :p So could be either.

Polish Cavalry on manuvere in April of 1939. A few still volunteer to carry the lance, though it had been dropped as standard gear in 1938. To continue on from my prior post, the Charge from Krojanty was an action which took place in the afternoon of Sept 1st 1939. A squadron of Polish cavalry from the 18th Pomeranian Uhlans, led by the regimental commander, Col. Kazimierz Mastalerz, came upon a battalion of German troops from the 20th Motorized Division bivouaked and prepared to set up camp. The Colonel, realizing the ambush situation in place, brought his unit under cover of a nearby hill, and was able to take the Germans offguard, charging with lance and saber, and slaughtering the hapless German battalion. Then, whilst rounding up prisoners, the Polish were in turn ambushed by a couple armoured cars appearing from a nearby woods, the first salvo of 20mm shells killing Mastalerz and his staff, with the rest of the Poles retreating away, leaving their POW's behind.

The next day, a couple Italian journalists, one of which was Indro Montanelli (a rather famous reporter), were taken to the site of the action. They were informed, on being shown the dead horses and men (with the German bodies removed), that the Poles had died charging German tanks. Montanelli and the other, unknown journalist, dutifully reported on the action, and the myth began. It was furthur reinforced by allied and axis propaganda alike, post-war historians, and continues to be reported to this day. As I wrote in a paper recently,

"In 2009, David Stone, a former British staff officer cum military historian, published the book Hitler's Army, 1939-1945: The Men, Machines and Organization. In it, he related a short history of the Polish campaign, including an anecdotal story of an anonymous Panzer soldier. “[He] recalled seeing one officer charge up to one of the vehicles in his squadron, rise up in his stirrups and give a vicious downward stroke with his sabre. This shattered in his hand and the Pole looked dumbfounded. Immediately he pulled out his pistol and fired several rounds at the Panzer, finally shooting himself, determined to die rather than surrender. To Stone, the story is real, it is irresistible. The Polish cavalry’s conduct has all the elements of great story telling from the ancient Greeks to the modern age, from medieval romances to Hollywood blockbusters; the romance of reckless bravado from a simpler era refusing to submit to the regimentation and machinery of modernity. Nevertheless, it is not history.

...Yet there is now a more complete and accurate history and a better story in the 1939 Campaign that is still being thrown to the wayside in favour of a personal attachment to a mythos. This clinging to delusions ignores the hard work of historians past and present who did and who are working hard to understand and interpret past events accurately, without regard to whether their accounts meet the expectations of the story. It denigrates history as delusions slowly turn from a mere mythos to a heavily cited source, from behind which historians can appear unassailable, and serve as a bulwark behind which they retreat to defend their work. This is a practice which does disservice to historians at large and more crucially to the discipline of history itself. Churchill, Davies, and even Stone may not have meant to perpetuate the lie, but hope must exist that they will not succeed. Comforting delusions during war time could perhaps be justified as serving a role in uplifting a soldier's morale, as well as providing political "cover" at home, but they cannot be justified as serious historical study. The goal must be to expose such delusions for what they really are – an attachment to a certain story – not to history.[SUP]"[/SUP]

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games

Soldiers of the 55th Armored Infantry Battalion and tank of the 22nd Tank Battalion, move through smoke filled street. Wernberg, Germany. April 22, 1945. Pvt. Joseph Scrippens.

Status
Not open for further replies.