• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Picture of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniallator

Volksgrenadiers in Luxembourg, December 1944. Yes, stuff happened in Luxembourg ;)

drummer93

Ooh, that's an excellent point, especially seeing as three quarters of American casualties in Normandy were by mortars.

well, the artillery in all its forms, was the cause of the most casualties in the war. Sadly for the Germans, they had a lot of problems with their artillery in Normandy

drummer93

German antitank units using their bicycles. They were a common transport due to the shortages of motor vehicles during 1944

german-bikes.jpg

VonMudra

They were common, period. The Germans were using bicycle troops as early as WW1 with their Jager units in order to keep up with the cavalry in 1914. They were used in Poland, in France and the Benelux, Norway, etc.

Aniallator

The PTO as well, to some extent. Bicycles were extremely heavily used by the Japanese in their 1941-42 blitz of Southeast Asia. Reading The Jungle is Neutral (F. Spencer Chapman, a great book if you can get your hands on it), he talks about hunkering down in the undergrowth as whole battalions pedalled on the road right past him.

drummer93

They were common, period. The Germans were using bicycle troops as early as WW1 with their Jager units in order to keep up with the cavalry in 1914. They were used in Poland, in France and the Benelux, Norway, etc.

Sure, just I was paraphrasing the book where I extract the photo, putting it in context. The photo was taken in Normandy, 1944. You know that Adolf wanted a full motorized army, they didn't use bicycles and horses because they wanted (although it is more ecological)

Last edited:

Aniallator

[MENTION=1109]Roughbeak[/MENTION] oh damn, that's a lot of treds!

I really want bicycles in TW. Could be an interesting transport in big maps

That's an interesting idea, though it may just cause problems where people pedal around for fun. Plus, the Allies didn't really use bicycles, so allowing them to would be out of place.

drummer93

That's an interesting idea, though it may just cause problems where people pedal around for fun.

haha maybe, but I estimate that we will have a very mature community after the release. Anyway, the people can make stupid things with all kind of vehicles, not only bicycles :p

Aniallator

Nah, they just used scooters:

Haha now when anyone talks about an Allied motorized unit, I'll think of this xD

@drummer93 I think we'll have a mature community as well :) Another problem with bicycles is you'd need one for every member of the section, and nine times out of ten I don't think that would happen; you'd have half the section pedalling happily at the front, while the other half is panting and cursing a hundred meters back.

Status
Not open for further replies.