• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

team work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

militaryprogamer

Vanguard Friend
so out of curiosity, how will you make teams actually stick together and not run around

RO2 had a team system where there was a squad leader and such, but i guess it never clicked to actually band up with the team and fight together

it was always ran into random people and start there

insurgency did the same thing, same result, people ran around and never really took to fighting together with the official team

Mars

Pathfinder Games
We have a unique system in development which encourages and increases the effectiveness of working in a team. Unfortunately I can’t say any more than that ;)

DerJoachim

I do hope so, but fear not, i think the playerbase keeping an eye for Traction Wars is all about teamwork, even without incentives for CoD/BF generation.

Anyway this game will be a tactical-squad shooter WW2 styled if you play it as a random generic shooter i think you will be get disappointed and bored pretty fast.

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
You mean...there might be benefits for sticking with your original squad mates?

Yep, you get lasers and body-armor stuff!

Really, we want to encourage people to stick together as the more soldiers together = being more deadly, more effective (in that sense) and better chances of actually surviving.

Aristle

I am assuming that there will be no icon that "magically" appears on top of players, but it would be interesting for automatic squads to be created so that they can have a squad insignia on their uniform. This would give use to binoculars which could be used for many other things, of course. Also, secret codewords could be generated whenever a game starts so that each side can identify themselves when returning to the squad or base when it is difficult to identify their insignia.

militaryprogamer

Vanguard Friend
i was playing verdun the other day, it seems to have a decent system, i mean it rewards the player for being near their squad leaders, but i mean i play near my squad leader, however cant say the same for the rest of the players

Swaffy

Automatic squad system would instantly ruin teamwork. I've seen it in a few games (including War Thunder) and it does nothing for teamwork, in practice.

Raul

Comms is the central idea in teamwork, it all comes to comms. And having a brute presence near your allies, making yourself remarked. And what better way to do that if not by screaming your lungs out in an a authoritative fashion from time to time, and then keep a cool head most of the time while still keeping the comms alive (modesty really brings out your colors ;) ).

And I'm saying this from my experience in some foster MMOFPS's in which I had to be pragmatic, since the majority of matches played were with random teams.

Aniallator

I agree, comms are the key to teamwork. Chat doesn't do much because you can't use it when you're engaged, but voice chat can be the bomb. Everything from calling out enemies to coordinating with teammates. I've also found that in games like America's Army and Verdun, where utilizing teamwork is very much implied, I've been much more inclined to stick with my squadmates and play the objective together. I'm not sure if there'll be any kind of XP system or something similar, but being awarded for sticking with your squadmates and accomplishing objectives together would encourage many people. I'm not worried, though... it seems to me that without teamwork, you won't do well in TW.

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
I agree voice chat makes a ton of difference, but a game can profit a lot from the good old commo-rose as long as the HUD for selecting commands is decent and there is enough randomization in the sound clips so it stops monotone spamming. The only problem might be finding decent German voice actors...

The thing is that voice can be really good for gameplay, but good acted shouting is much more immersive. I think the devs should try to aim to bring the battlefield to life, like RO2 tried, and in some parts does quite well. I always found FH2's armies of mutes and the battles fought in eerie silence except gunshots and deathcries killing much of the immersion that carefully crafted maps and period equipment provide...

Pvt_Larry

I think [MENTION=421]LuckyOne[/MENTION] has it right.

I'd agree that RO2's voices do generally work for immersion (accents are a little silly, but you still get the general idea of your comrades fighting and dying around you, and the unintelligible screams of your enemies.)

I think that the voices in Verdun are also pretty good, though the player-activated voice call outs aren't so well-implemented/useful in that game imo. But a well-done system for call outs with solid voice acting is a really good system I think, sometimes VOIP really doesn't do much for me. Or maybe I just don't like talking to people, who knows?

Pjosip

Vanguard Backer
I would apritiate some mechanics that doesent neccesarely force you into teamplay, but encourages it and shows you benifits of communication.
Ho

SpaceCroissant

I certainly think that voice chat is something that could encourage people to stick together and work as a team.

I have to say whenever there are built-in callouts in games I often forget/simply don't want to use them - spend time pressing the correct key combination and potentially having the menu obscuring my vision vs simply speaking, 9/10 times I'm probably gonna choose voice chat.

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
spend time pressing the correct key combination and potentially having the menu obscuring my vision vs simply speaking, 9/10 times I'm probably gonna choose voice chat.

The callouts system in Left 4 Dead works well, it's a good way to keep communicate if you can't/don't want to talk to strangers. Despite communication being a great advantage, I personally think a game should work without the need to talk to others, because I'm an unsociable turd who doesn't want you talking over the lovely sound effects ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.