• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Weapons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoDe

Well, we have discussed alot about the classes. I have a question and a suggestion about the weapons in TR.

Will you make attachables ( scopes, etc) for weapons?

Suggestion:
Im a fan of the crysis rank system. Make something similar in TR. Example:
You start as a private, then you slay 50000 enemies and get promoted. You are now a private 1st class(or so).
You get upgrades for your weapon and new attachables;
Your bolt action rifle is now a semi-automatic one, and you have been given the attachable "bad scope"

Now you kill another 50000 enemies, and get promoted. Your weapon now has better accuracy, and you get the attachable "silencer".

The solider classes start with no scope, and the best they get is the "good scope"
The sniper starts with a "good scope", and the best he gets is the "sniper scope"

I hope you understand what i mean :D

Suggestions for attachables:
Different scopes
Different Iron sights
Silencer
Bullets(as discussed in the classes topic)!
bayonet!

Suggestions for weapon upgrades:
Accuracy
Bolt action -> semi automatic
less recoil for automatic/semi automatic

Other suggestions:
Make different clothes for every class, with different colours. Some are better camouflage on sand, others in the woods, etc.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Your remembering we're predominantly a multiplayer modification? If you are then your talking about a permanent ranking system. Eventually different classes will have different appearances, even if its just different insignias on their uniforms. As for attachments, we are having them and yes the bayonet is top of the list :p

NoDe

Haven't you played crysis MP? The higher the rank, the more prestige you get. You gain experience by doing objectives.

Anyway,.

What do you think about my "weapon improvement system"?

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Yer I've played it - Just didnt think you could be talking about it as I haven't seen anyone kill 50,000 enemies in one round yet :)

Your suggestions are good, but the problem isn't with the weapon upgrades but the hole system. The first person on the server shouldnt really have an advantage because they've had longer to get upgrades. You end up with people not being able to join a game late without getting slaughtered for the first 10 minutes. Personally I prefer having a system where everyone can get the same weapons at any-point during the game. Or alternatively have it so everyone can get the same weapons + you have a globally ranked unlockable weapons- thats one big can of worms though!

Halfdark

I believe (someone'll correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure) that the TW unlock system is designed to avoid unbalancing the game - so that you don't end up making it easier for players who are already better. That's a problem with a permanent stats tracking system - you end up giving the good players a further advantage.

By having a system based on individual round performance, everyone starts the same. The problem with this, of course, is that once the round gets 10 mintutes in you risk unbalancing it for new people; that's why (I'm hoping) unlocks won't do *too* much to directly affect your combat performance, rather they'll let you do new stuff which aids you in achieving objectives and such.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
TW is about teamwork, realism and having fun. So yes your right having unlocks that unbalence the game after 10 minutes would go against the grain somewhat.

Unlocks in general would of course have to be as you say, to add a new angle to the gameplay. Not to give you too much of an edge. I personally tend to prefer to get a new weapon than to get an upgrade for my old. Scopes and attachments are the exception of course.

Halfdark

Unlocks such as a shotgun (in place of previous main weapon) - or the TW universe equivalent - wouldn't necessarily give players a massive advantage, but would allow for a different style of gameplay.

Scopes, silencers, etc are all cool additions which would allow players to change their gameplay without necessarily giving them a massive combat advantage.

Grapple hooks, zip lines, new grenade types (it's important that they're not additional, rather you'd have to chose them instead of what you had previously) all allow for a new dimension to gameplay, allowing you to play exactly how you want, without making you "teh uber leet".

As mentioned by Node above - camo suits would work very well imo. Obviously, it would be up to the commander/squad leader to make sure that the squad was equipped with the correct suit.

Different bullets might rub me the wrong way, but if you could think of a way they'd be balanced... Explosive shells and the like would be right out, since TW is infantry-heavy. Tracer rounds would be handy (esp. if you're removing crosshairs - I don't know whether you are) so that you could get a good idea of where your shots are going without having to use your iron sights... Flare cartridges as well - for signaling purposes.

Mr Zephy

I think flare cartridges would be handled by an entirely different gun, a flare pistol.

I'm also thinking that there should be advantages and disadvantages associated with each addon- tracers are the obvious example here, but silencers causing less damage to be done (especially against armour), and thinking about it, shotguns.

I'm still for shotguns to have the cartridge/solid slug options.

Nadanova

Mr Zephy said:
I think flare cartridges would be handled by an entirely different gun, a flare pistol.

I'm also thinking that there should be advantages and disadvantages associated with each addon- tracers are the obvious example here, but silencers causing less damage to be done (especially against armour), and thinking about it, shotguns.

I'm still for shotguns to have the cartridge/solid slug options.

I second all of that...
Liking the bayonet idea though...

Halfdark

Bayonets wouldn't actually unbalance things, happily. They'd encourage players to get close when perhaps they shouldn't. They shouldn't be fitted to shotguns (or other close-up weapons) - players with rifles will often try to charge the shotgunners; clearly a bad way to die.

Although testing might show me to be wrong - in which case you could put in a hidden disadvantage (ie. don't tell players, but put it in anyway). The hidden disadvantage might seem a strange idea, but it means you don't necessarily have to explain it in terms which make sense in realism (ie. Why would a bayonet make you slightly slower to reload?), but it can do good things for balance.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
I was thinking that bayonets would be an advantage for people with rifles as once fitted they get a bladed melee attack with no delay. Drawing a knife would take time and would possibly do less damage. It could be used as one advantage of rifles over MGs

@Zephy - Everything should have strengths and weaknesses, that way different playing styles will result in the use of different weapons. Otherwise people will just choose the best looking weapon.

Mr Zephy

Oh yes, I absolutely agree with that; ideally all the weapons would be just as good as each other.

I just agree with HD that having a bayonet shouldn't make it slower to reload.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Well as Halfdark said, you could make it slightly slower just for balancing, you just wouldn't tell people.

Nadanova

This reminds me of the newest Team Fortress 2 update, get a certain amount of achievemnts and unlock a new weapon.

JakeWedding

Theres also a nother problem with attchments as there wernt many druring WW2, The Thompson M1A1 and most war varents could only support 20Rnd and 30Rnd Mags, that was the only attchments i know of. the M1Garand also only had rifle grenades, no scopes unless the M1C varent was used.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Theres also a nother problem with attchments as there wernt many druring WW2, The Thompson M1A1 and most war varents could only support 20Rnd and 30Rnd Mags, that was the only attchments i know of. the M1Garand also only had rifle grenades, no scopes unless the M1C varent was used.

That is a good point, all attachments in the mod are carefully checked historically so only ones which are correct for that particular weapon would be shown as options.

Is that what you meant?

JakeWedding

yep, so there wont be many custom weapons on the battlefield.

and if you wanted to keep all the players equal in muilti why not just have a team Points (Kinda like the one existing on a individual basis) but as your team gets more objectives/kills more weapons will be available/spawn at the bases.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
yep, so there wont be many custom weapons on the battlefield.

Well that depends on whether you count a Enfield with a Bayonett attached to be a customised weapon ;) Other than realistic customisation that I would agree with you.

and if you wanted to keep all the players equal in muilti why not just have a team Points (Kinda like the one existing on a individual basis) but as your team gets more objectives/kills more weapons will be available/spawn at the bases.

That is an interesting idea and would produce an escalation of fire-power through the battle. The only problem with that is that the better team will gain an advantage - which might make it impossible for the other team to come back even if they learn from their misstakes and work together.

Status
Not open for further replies.