• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

What have you made recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roughbeak

For me it really is. Sorry if I made it sound that way, probably how it appeared that way is because I like to keep my sentences short and to the point. I was once a beginner that was dumbfounded at "how in the world did people make texture maps", but now it's not that bad.
Highly likely I will make a upcoming blog here at TW of how to create these texture maps once I finish my level. ;)

Last edited:

Roughbeak

Like I said before I probably will make a upcoming blog, but I will try to explain it here. From left to right: Diffuse, Specular, Normal (Bump map's "successor"), and Displacement. To make it short:

The Diffuse defines the main color, which is just the original photo you picked from the internet being resized to either 512x512, 1024x1024, 2048x2048 (power of 2).

The Specular builds off the Diffuse, go to adjustments tab in Photoshop select "black and white" and adjustments tab again, pick "levels". I usually set a 62 for rock types, and for grass or such: 45.

Normal, this texture map creates "bumps" on the surface without increasing the number of polygons. There are two ways of creating this, the Nvdia Normal Map plugin for Photoshop or Crazybump, I prefer the latter because it the texture map appears much nicer. The Nvdia tends to get a bit "noisy" in the layout or sharp.

Displacement, this is generated in Crazybump also, with a few adjustments, you save it within Cb and open it up in Photoshop. Select all of the image, and place it into it's Alpha channel in "channels". This texture map and Normal, activates Parallax Occlusion Mapping, which is a technique that you can control surface mesh (which is what Displacement is for).

However you need the Crytif plugin for Photoshop, to generate this in the CE Engine. Hope it helps. :)

Last edited:

Pjosip

Vanguard Backer
Nice explanation :)
Doy you mind if I copy your text (and image example) as a knowlage base when I explane it to friends.
I won't be reposting in on web tho.

Roughbeak

You can, but I think that my upcoming blog might blow this post away. ;) So, in my honest opinion, wait a little more. :)

Pjosip

Vanguard Backer
Actually I like the way you explaned it here.
It is simple,informative,up to point and does not depend on a previousely extablished knowlagebase.

If you can go in greater detail start from the simple form and build off it.

volcol

Don't forget the gloss map Roughbeak :) will be very nice to see that being used on your materials - great work otherwise !

Roughbeak

Today, on my own, I finally figured out how to make custom road textures. The main problem I had, was blending in the sides of the road to make it much more appealing. The alpha channel of your Diffuse solves that, however it is a bit more complicated than that.

Below is the texture, and this photo is a small preview of my upcoming map. Enjoy.

Pjosip

Vanguard Backer
Rough you are a true artist.
That looks awesome.

Perhaps one day I will talk to my son and say "see that famous game dev? I onde chattend on forums with him."

hannibaldinski

TW Developer
I'm currently working on a balance board for rehabilitation. We've pimped an ordinary board with a motion sensor, LED's and Bluetooth. This means we can connect it to a PC or TV and use it as a controller and hopefully make rehabilitation more fun.

volcol

Im finalising some items for university, finished the smiley today (in other words the SMLE :D )

Status
Not open for further replies.