• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Map Ideas Thread

Skr13

image.jpg
I don't know if this was earlier posted here, but I remember that some maps could have the famous "Rommel's Asparagus" on the countryside fields of Normandy, those wooden poles were positioned where Rommel believed that Gliders could land, making the job very risky and fatal in some cases.

images_q_tbn_ANd9_Gc_Q01e_TBHU1_BBEJL2_Co_Jr_ca_ZKc_Sc_KS.jpg
Also other defensive tactic implemented by Romell, was flood the plains, preventing the paratroopers to reach the drop zone in security, where many of them got killed by drowning, mainly because of the high weight of the equipment they had, and the difficulty mechanism to release it under water(UK equipment was faster to get rid than US though).

Even if we will not see Gliders or Paratroopers present on the game, those obstacles are still important to give the player the ambience and atmosphere of the battlefield in 1944 at Normandy.
So what you guys think?

Last edited:
I'd like to see at least one map with either landing at Utah beach or the causeways behind it with 101st/82nd AB. Pegasus Bridge would be pretty interesting, as well. Seeing as this mod appears to be UK vs. DE though, I'd assume Pegasus Bridge and Gold or Sword Beach would probably come quicker.

Unfortunately, I don't really know that much about the British in Overlord, so I'd have to do some research if I made any suggestions beyond those.

Alberich

No matter what, PLEAAASEEE make the maps as large as possible. The game must consist of multiple fights on one map,not one big firefight. Most people will not care if they have to walk or drive a while to the next point of interest. Nothing has killed my interest in ww2 tactical shooters like too small maps. I dont want constant action, because it will get boring too soon. If the tension is distributed on single situations, the fun will be much greater. Forgotten Hope 2 had it about right....:)

oxigebr

I would like to see maps in house ghost towns worn debris in the streets That nice atmosphere and it's also a bit of suspense You enter a home and see chairs tables beds Clothing objects around as if something had passed and Dizzied all. would be incredible! xD

Alex

I would like to see some rolling Normandy hills with tough terrain for tanks. Thick hedges, heaven for camouflaged German infantry. Vehicles will need to stick to French roads when crossing the hills. There can be two towns on the opposite sides of the hills.
Infantry combat will be intense, firefights over just a few hundred meters from the other side of the hedges.

Just a few images that could correlate with the map.
http://i.imgur.com/KWiUiwi.jpg

http://www.normandybattlefields.com/mapphotos/24-hedgerow.jpg

http://jojoamericans.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/hedgerow.223105755_std.jpg

http://www.strijdbewijs.nl/breakout/bocage.jpg

VonMudra

That will all be in eventually, but something to realize is that hedgerow combat is mostly an American sector thing- the British sector was a lot more open and less hedgerow-y.

TheViscount

I know it is not part of Overlord but I would really like some maps based on less well known conflicts. For example, I for one would find it interesting to lead a Polish cavalry charge against German infantry (The charges against armour were invented for a fifties war film) during 1939. In reality most of the charges were successful, so the battles will likely be evenly matched online.
Being able to fight as the Poles will be interesting too as they are rarely playable in video games.

M.

VonMudra

Doing lesser known fronts like Poland 1939 would be awesome, but we have to think about draw, player numbers, and time spent versus amount created. Poland 1939, and other obscure fronts/campaigns like that, would mean lots and lots of work for little usage. That said, there are plans in the works, for the Normandy Front, to cover lesser known units and battles, including the Polish 1st Armoured Division.

Also, while yes the 'charge against armour' is a myth, it was not invented for a 50s war movie, it was in fact invented on the 2nd day of the war by some Italian journalists, and quickly spread from there.

Pvt_Larry

If you cover some of these "obscure battles" I'll love you guys forever.

But yeah, I understand the points you make on audience.

Pjosip

Vanguard Backer
My idea is to make some maps connected to eachother visually.

So for instance on some borders of map 1 you can see part of the map 2 and vice versa.

Upfront, I am new to the forum and must apologize if I missed a similar suggestion previously.

Scenario #1: "Withdraw to the Orne"
Date: 05:00 10Jul44
Loc: Farmland between the village of Éterville (SW of Caen) and the river Orne
British: 130th Inf Bde, 43rd "Wessex" Division
German: Remnants of 12th SS (Need more Info)

Historical Context: Remnants of the 12SS have finally been given permission to withdraw from the ruins of Caen, across to the east side of the river Orne. 12SS units to the SW of Caen are also given the order to displace. That same day, the British 43rd IN Div launches OPERATION JUPITER to seize Hill 112. The majority of the 12SS were able to withdraw the morning of the 10th. Of course pockets of resistance were unable to withdraw. Other units conducted delaying operations in order to allow for friendly units to retrograde to the east banks of the river Orne.

German Task: Disrupt British Attacks
German Purpose: Facilitate the reconstitution of German combat power on the east side of the river Orne.

In this scenario the German unit starts in the eastern outskirts of the village of Éterville. It must conduct a withdraw under pressure ("fighting withdraw") back to the river Orne. The Germans are fighting for time. As a result, the Germans are given a set period of time that they must hold their series of adhoc battle positions. The battle positions by Éterville are better then the ones near the river Orne. The desired end state for the Germans is that they are able to conduct a disciplined fighting withdraw against Allies Armor/Infantry. Using good communication and a time oriented strategy, the Germans will coordinate their side's withdraws from one set of positions to the next. Counterattacks will have to be small in nature as the numbers and time available don't allow for continued risk. Once the time is reached, the Germans left will be able to cross the river. No re-spawns allowed from this point forward for the Germans (If we are playing re-spawns). If 51% of the German side makes it to the east bank of the Orne, the Germans win.

In this mission, the Allies conduct a pursuit, seizing key terrain (German defensive lines, intersections, group of farmhouses, etc) along the way.

Allied Task: Destroy
Allied Purpose: Prevent the withdraw of the the remnants of the 12SS defending Éterville.

How about a V2 rocket site, with partially underground areas? I believe such a map would add a pretty unique experience. Say, for example, corridors leading underneath launch pads that then lead up to different parts of the complex. It could have a few buildings, like an administrative office or barracks, alongside some storage buildings. It could also be quite cramped, making infantry combat more viable than vehicular combat.