• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Militaria

Status
Not open for further replies.

siben

In this state it would be nearly impossible to identify, if it was in good condition then the location, weight and size can give you a clue. Differences between calibres are so minute you know. If it had the casing still with it then its not to hard to identify

Aniallator

In this state it would be nearly impossible to identify, if it was in good condition then the location, weight and size can give you a clue. Differences between calibres are so minute you know. If it had the casing still with it then its not to hard to identify

Is there anything I can do to reduce the oxidation? A solvent I can soak it in, or something? For the record it feels pretty light, strange for something that's theoretically lead.

siben

A fine steel wool or sandpaper will clean it up just fine. A bullet from for example a 7.92x57 mauser weight about 12 grams, just less then a gram more then two 20 eurocent coins.

siben

Since this tread is going so slow, here is part of my WW1 collection. 5 pre/early war bullets. Left is an American 1915 made 30-06, then a German 1913 made 7.92x57 mauser, then a british 1913 made Ball Mark VI, then a Belgian 7.65x53 with unreadable date and lastly a Dutch 6.5x53 made in 1916.

2016-03-07 18.40.41.jpg

2016-03-07 18.40.54.jpg

Aniallator

I wish I could add more to this thread, I just don't own much in the way of WW2 militaria. I have some blueprints of the LST I found in Thailand, though most of them I found in a flooded engine compartment, so some of them had to be discarded.

siben

No worries about that, when i started visiting the FH filefront forums more then 10 years ago i also get jealous if what people seemed to have collected. Now look what i have... I only showed a small part so far.

I have a nice 1944 russian tokarev TT-33 coming to me soon. Quite excited for that.

siben

Sometimes knowing a guy that is pretty serious about metaldetecting battlefields pays off. He does not give it for free but still good. Cookie for those that tell me whats inside.

2016-03-17 17.49.31.jpg 2016-03-17 17.49.48.jpg

FlyingR

Assuming the fact that the paper is brown, buff and torn with faded blue ink which has been stamped and with tape on the right side, I can only deduce that it is a Model 1932N, 8mm Lebel perhaps? The rectangular shape and size of the packaging indicates that there are 8 cartridges inside. Obviously made by Atelier de Construction de Tarbes, thus, French. Made in the second semester of 1944 during WWII.

Last edited:

siben

Assuming the fact that the paper is brown, buff and torn with faded blue ink which has been stamped and with tape on the right side, I can only deduce that it is a Model 1932N, 8mm Lebel perhaps? The rectangular shape and size of the packaging indicates that there are 8 cartridges inside. Obviously made by Atelier de Construction de Tarbes, thus, French. Made in the second semester of 1944 during WWII.

Correct, there where specially made for the lebel rifle, hence there are 8 cartridges in a pack. A full load for that rifle. The pack has clearly been stored whet, but should still work.

Aniallator

It says right on the box. It is .30M1 ammunition. Also known as 30-06.
It's an original 250 round belt for a .30 calibre machine gun. US made in 1943. Has a tracer every 5th bullet.

Have you ever been able to do any metaldetecting? That's like my dream, to metaldetect some of the major WW2 battlefields. I've seen videos of these guys in eastern Europe that find Pak 40s and stuff... crazy!

siben

I think only on the eastern front you can still do big finds. Here in europe its different yet still good things can be found. I have a metal detector but did not use it much yet. I would like to do it but disturbing and digging up battlefields gets frowned upon to be honest plus you need a permit and permission of the land owners to do it. those people from youtube movies have very expensive and professional stuff. No way i will ever buy that. I can only detect 8cm deep in the soil. They can go 30cm deep with ease.

siben

As i mentioned a month ago, i have a TT-33. WW2 soviet made. First thing that surprised me... it has a huge muzzle flame! and with modern ammunition its even bigger then military surplus. Shooting 2 magazines here where i alternate between a new and old cartridge. Big flame is new, big recoil is old.

[video=youtube_share;4zg5-p9A8ZU]https://youtu.be/4zg5-p9A8ZU[/video]

Last edited:

siben

A cookie for those that can guess what this is and what it is used for. It is WW2, thats all i say for now.

2016-09-08 18.43.55.jpg 2016-09-08 18.44.31.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.