• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Militaria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniallator

This is so bizarre, how did a LST end up in Thailand?! Also I bet it felt great tracking down someone who actually sailed on it.

Yeah, the Thai government bought her in '75... actually, I gained clearance to a Thai naval base a day's sail from the LST to see if they had any records on LST-722 in Thai service.

a 5 second google later..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Dodge_County_(LST-722)

The USA just sold it to them back in 1975. Probably surplussing their stuff to other armies.

Indeed... I'm the one who updated the Wiki article ;)

siben

Yeah, the Thai government bought her in '75... actually, I gained clearance to a Thai naval base a day's sail from the LST to see if they had any records on LST-722 in Thai service.

Indeed... I'm the one who updated the Wiki article ;)

Well, in that case, you seem to be an interesting person... that is a compliment.

Moloc

I was cleaning, oiling and cataloguing my WW2 dated .30 M1 carbine ammunition today and chose to open one up that was badly corroded on the outside. Enjoy, i had no idea the powder was this fine in these cartridges.

View attachment 1179 View attachment 1180

https://youtu.be/qPMl8oz4eRE

It's US powder for Carabine, more lively for marked with gas, the French equivalent is S3.
/
C'est de la poudre US pour les carabines, elle est plus vive pour les empreints de gaz, son équivalente française est la S3, mon père fait du rechargement ^^.

Alex

Two photos from an older event I attended this year.

Whatcha lookin' at, punk?

Aniallator

So I'm doing some inland travel, and at the moment I'm staying in Johannesburg. I went out of my way today to see Joburg's war museum... and WOW do they have some stuff! Among other things, an Me 262, and even a handful of Italian armor (see photo of Autoblinda). Here are some shots. I apologize in advance for the low quality of the photos, had to use a phone.

siben

Neat museums. I have not done any museums the past years because i did everything within a 5 hour drive radius, i really should plan some weekends out to do this kind of stuff.

Since i have not posted much the past months, here are 2 examples i have of the german 20mm FlaK cartridges. Both are 1943. The left one is HE with impact fuze and steel casing, the right one is AP with brass casing.

2015-11-19 13.01.55.jpg

FlyingR

Neat museums. I have not done any museums the past years because i did everything within a 5 hour drive radius, i really should plan some weekends out to do this kind of stuff.

Since i have not posted much the past months, here are 2 examples i have of the german 20mm FlaK cartridges. Both are 1943. The left one is HE with impact fuze and steel casing, the right one is AP with brass casing.

View attachment 1286

Nice! So you found them or you bought them? Are they just laying somewhere secret in your house? :p

siben

Those i bought, i don't think these are easy to find still in western europe.
They are decorative in front of a shelf in my book cabinet.

2015-11-20 18.20.18.jpg

siben

Here are some things i did not buy, but was given by a friend who found them in an old barn in the ardennes while doing a clean up (was part of a huge lot of WW2 stuff that i got)
So, for the next year and a half i will be cleaning these for a few hours every few days. Till they are all done. These are some dug up .45 thompson amunition from WW2. They looked terrible at first but some clean up super nice when i put some steelwool and elbow grease to them.

2015-11-26 19.12.38.jpg 2015-11-26 19.13.28.jpg 2015-11-26 21.05.45.jpg

siben

Colt 1903 shoots like a charm, 100 years old, 50 bullets and not a single problem. Pretty accurate too. Tiny sights though.

siben

This tread needs more posts. Come on people, I am sure many of you can contribute.

My 2 Italian Carcano model 1938 rifles, 1 is in 6.5x52 Carcano, the other is in 7.35x51 Carcano. The 4 clips in the bottom are 1943 made 6.5x52 caracano amunition on 6 round clips.

2016-01-30 23.12.18.jpg 2016-01-30 23.14.24.jpg

2016-01-30 23.12.27.jpg 2016-01-30 23.13.13.jpg

siben

With time, money and patience you can also do this, i have been actively busy collecting for 7 years. Things like this don't come just like that.

Here are some pictures with the bayonet attached. Yes, the bayonet folds into the rifle.

2016-02-01 21.30.21.jpg 2016-02-01 21.30.36.jpg

2016-02-01 21.31.00.jpg 2016-02-01 21.47.01.jpg

2016-02-01 21.31.54.jpg

Aniallator

Someone I was talking to the other day was kind enough to give me this.

He found it and many others in a cave on Corfu. I was told they're from WW2, though in truth I think he was speculating. Can anyone identify it? I'm clueless when it comes to bullets. It's got plenty of corrosion, as you can see; the only identifying mark I found is a number 3 near the tip. Is it even possible to identify this based on its state?

Status
Not open for further replies.