• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Militaria

Status
Not open for further replies.

siben

Funny picture indeed.

I went out last Thursday again for some plinking. Taking out my 1918 made Kar98a Rifle. A great Mauser if i have to say it. The trigger was a bit light though, to light for me, so several times the shot went off sooner then i expected even though it has a 2 stage military trigger.

I started my evening with shooting some old 1953 made Yugoslavian cartridges. I had 2 boxes of 15 so perfect for some relaxing shooting. Unfortunately the ammunition isn't as good anymore as i had hoped for, i have 1 misfire and 1 broken casing. Not that great to be honest.

2015-09-01 20.11.05.jpg 2015-09-01 20.14.15.jpg

On my second reload i screw up, i did that 3 times that evening, somehow i always put my clip to much to the front so the whole things jams up when i push 2 cartridges off the clip. I am using a 1938 and 1939 made clip by the way.

[video]https://youtu.be/4jEcASWDqts[/video]

I also brought some special German made Ammunition with me. The first and last shot are 1938 made s.S. (lead core) ammunition, the second and third shot are 1944 made S.m.E. (iron core) and the third shot was 1938 made S.m.K.L'spur (Steel core tracer). A shame the tracer didn't work, maybe 45 meter is to close for it to work.

2015-09-01 18.36.04.jpg

[video]https://youtu.be/Y-gf4vtKhgc[/video]

And lastly, the final result.

2015-09-01 18.49.49.jpg

Zainab

Funny picture indeed.

I went out last Thursday again for some plinking. Taking out my 1918 made Kar98a Rifle. A great Mauser if i have to say it. The trigger was a bit light though, to light for me, so several times the shot went off sooner then i expected even though it has a 2 stage military trigger.

I started my evening with shooting some old 1953 made Yugoslavian cartridges. I had 2 boxes of 15 so perfect for some relaxing shooting. Unfortunately the ammunition isn't as good anymore as i had hoped for, i have 1 misfire and 1 broken casing. Not that great to be honest.

View attachment 1160 View attachment 1161

On my second reload i screw up, i did that 3 times that evening, somehow i always put my clip to much to the front so the whole things jams up when i push 2 cartridges off the clip. I am using a 1938 and 1939 made clip by the way.

[video]https://youtu.be/4jEcASWDqts[/video]

I also brought some special German made Ammunition with me. The first and last shot are 1938 made s.S. (lead core) ammunition, the second and third shot are 1944 made S.m.E. (iron core) and the third shot was 1938 made S.m.K.L'spur (Steel core tracer). A shame the tracer didn't work, maybe 45 meter is to close for it to work.

View attachment 1162

[video]https://youtu.be/Y-gf4vtKhgc[/video]

And lastly, the final result.

View attachment 1163

None of them hit in the center...

siben

Thanks guys.
This was shooting for fun, not points, if i go sitting in a chair with a perfect rest for the rifle i could probably shoot much much better with it.
And 1 shot did hit the center...

siben

I am a collector also. :)
Your Colt has was made at about June, 1915
My father bought 2 Colts by auction, I would send a photo when we are going to receive them.

Aah, interesting to know that, i am curious what your collection contains.
Yes, mid 1915 indeed, it is one of the early deliveries of colt 1903 pistols delivered to the Belgian army. it has army approval stamps.

Timberwolf

Could you share a picture of it? I am curious, since I am more or less collecting those cartridges also. I did not know that the museum had things for sale, is it WW2?

Sorry it took me so long. I'm lazy like that. :p

Spoiler:

Other than that, we had an event going on in my hometown.

Saturday
Spoiler:

Sunday
Spoiler:

Aniallator

In January 2014, I was sailing up to Phuket when I came upon the strangest thing; an LST, tethered to shore next to a small village. An LST. From WW2. In Thailand. I mean, WTF.

Anyway, I stopped and went in to have a look. I got up to the hull where metal steps led up to the deck, expecting to be confronted by some Thai guy demanding money if I wanted to go up. There was no one to be seen. I got up on deck, and spent the next few hours exploring the wreck bow to stern. Seeing as I was the only soul aboard, it was damn spooky at times, especially two or three decks below where I was going from room to room using a headlamp.

On the transom, the numbers 722 are painted over, but still visible. LST-722. When I returned to my boat I did some digging, and found a vet from LST-722, Stan Yokell; I emailed him, and he replied, thrilled to hear news of the 722. I'll admit, I was pretty emotional, telling this WW2 vet I'd tracked down his old ship! Here are some pics.

LST-722 has since been moved, whether to be scrapped or salvaged, I'm not sure. I'm glad I got to see it before anything happened.

Last edited:

Sydd

In January 2014, I was sailing up to Phuket when I came upon the strangest thing; an LST, tethered to shore next to a small village. An LST. From WW2. In Thailand. I mean, WTF.

Anyway, I stopped and went in to have a look. I got up to the hull where metal steps led up to the deck, expecting to be confronted by some Thai guy demanding money if I wanted to go up. There was no one to be seen. I got up on deck, and spent the next few hours exploring the wreck bow to stern. Seeing as I was the only soul aboard, it was damn spooky at times, especially two or three decks below where I was going from room to room using a headlamp.

On the transom, the numbers 722 are painted over, but still visible. LST-722. When I returned to my boat I did some digging, and found a vet from LST-722, Stan Yokell; I emailed him, and he replied, thrilled to hear news of the 722. I'll admit, I was pretty emotional, telling this WW2 vet I'd tracked down his old ship! Here are some pics.

LST-722 has since been moved, whether to be scrapped or salvaged, I'm not sure. I'm glad I got to see it before anything happened.

This is so bizarre, how did a LST end up in Thailand?! Also I bet it felt great tracking down someone who actually sailed on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.