• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Militaria

Status
Not open for further replies.

siben

A quick wiki:
Early Karabiner 98k rifles had solid walnut wood or from 1943 some had solid oak wood one-piece stocks. From 1937 onwards the rifles had laminated stocks, the result of trials that had stretched through the 1930s.[5] Plywood laminates are stronger and resisted warping better than the conventional one-piece patterns, did not require lengthy maturing, and were cheaper. The laminated stocks were, due to their dense composite structure, somewhat heavier compared to one-piece stocks.[6] In addition to the use of walnut and beech laminate, elm was used in small quantities. The butts of the semi-pistol grip Karabiner 98k stocks were not uniform. Until early 1940 the stocks had a flat buttplate. After 1940 some stocks had a cupped buttplate to prevent the separation of the butt stock. All stocks had a steel buttplate

The only thing i can add to that is that the germans experimented at the end of the war with some type of plastic stock since wood ran out. I read about it some time ago and i don't remember that much about it any more.

Anyhow, i want to share a Bayonet i have for a change, for the moment it will stay with my Gew88. They attach pretty bad to be honest and i find it hard to understand why they made the combo... but they did so here are some pictures.

GermanG88.jpg 2015-03-21 16.06.33.jpg

2015-03-21 16.06.46.jpg 2015-03-21 16.06.55.jpg

Its a German made model 1898 nA Bayonet. Unfortunately no marking other then manufacturer. So i don't know much about where it has been. Only that it should have been made between 1902 and 1914 for the Gew98.

Beech wood is actually a good choice for that application. The laminate stocks actually take a while to set up in the sense that you have to laminate the woods together but the advantage is that knots, bubbles and other natural flaws in the wood will not effect your final product. Since you are shaving the wood and forming a laminate any of those flaws can be cut out and filled in excellently. Depending on the glue type used the glue itself can even improve the strength of the material.

Pjosip

Vanguard Backer
Naga, 10 warning points to siben for the improper and inhumane camera recording please.
(always instruct the operator to hold the phone sideways)

litchu

Naga, 10 warning points to siben for the improper and inhumane camera recording please.
(always instruct the operator to hold the phone sideways)

Unless the object is vertical, I guess?

* other than that totally true, especially when filming

Last edited:

Pjosip

Vanguard Backer
Only reason you'd ever want your camera vertical is for when you are taking specific still images that work the best with that style for artistic reasons.

Everything else = horizontal mode.

Hehe, but enough with the derail :)

siben

I can't help it that my girlfriend was to scared to come closer, and that she held her iphone like that, sorry guys, i want to make nicer movies but its just not possible for me at this time.
I wish i could capture the muzzle flashes properly on camera. they always intrigue me.

B.Kavanagh

i've got a bunch of medals, badges, and a beret. And unfortunately because...Britain. My Grandad had a Lee Enfield but had to dispose or sell it or something because he wasn't aloud to keep it for some reason.

siben

In most contries you can't just keep your weapons, but i am sure if he wanted to he would have still have had it, even if it was demilled.

For me to keep my rifles i must go shooting every 3 weeks minimum. Also to get permission to buy this in the first place is quite strict and time consuming.

Only potato cam footage for now, shooting my Steyr Manlicher M95 carbine.

i've got a bunch of medals, badges, and a beret. And unfortunately because...Britain. My Grandad had a Lee Enfield but had to dispose or sell it or something because he wasn't aloud to keep it for some reason.

Its getting bad enough that you get caught with a knife and they'll haul you in.

BBC NEWS | Health | Doctors' kitchen knives ban call

(using the same logic they applied to guns there are forces in Britain calling to an end to sharp objects now.... What's next, rocks?)

its **** like that that is the reason why I'm more on the conservative side of things. If someone calls for a change in law or society but their logic structure will ultimately result in the call for another change afterwards I just refuse it out of hand. Knee jerk reaction laws are a terrible burden on the world....

Yh Britain needs to looses the lawson historic firearms and such, i don't think giving an AR 15 to everyone under the sun but these one off stab victims are really annoying :p

siben

well, you crazy brits stab 350 people a day in the UK, some stricter laws to cary a knife in public is a very good thing.
In belgium any knife that you cary on you, with a blade bigger then the width of your hand is an illegal weapon. Same with stick like objects longer then 30 cm and thicker then your thumb.
Its more then normal, i mean there is no use for these objects outside your home, you only cary it in public to hurt other people or for your work, and its easy to distinguish those.

A knife attack every 4 minutes; 130,000 per year - but ministers still insist crime rates are falling | Daily Mail Online

siben

Well, i have a new anti tank cartridge in my small collection, i am quite happy with it to be honest. it a cartridge for the Mauser 1918 T-Gewehr. A 13.2mm TuF or 13.2x92SR. It is the one in the middle.

2015-05-14 11.35.29.jpg

2015-05-14 11.35.58.jpg

2015-05-14 11.35.45.jpg

Aniallator

Well, i have a new anti tank cartridge in my small collection, i am quite happy with it to be honest. it a cartridge for the Mauser 1918 T-Gewehr. A 13.2mm TuF or 13.2x92SR.

T-Gewehr rounds? Those strike me as something hard to come by.

siben

T-Gewehr rounds? Those strike me as something hard to come by.

I see them for sale every few years or so. Any type of ordinance is hard to find, the older, the harder, unless it is extremely widely used, like 18 pounder rounds. also, finding the casing isnt hard, its finding it with an intact bullet that makes it difficult.

siben

So, this came blowing into my hands. What should I do with it? its dry and surface rust is forming. I feel like taking it apart, brushing the rust of the belt and bullets,oil it and put it back together. I took it apart into the 4 pieces for easy handling and can put it back together without any visual change. If i don't clean it then the rust well get worse and worse over time.
Its clearly that this belt has been like this for very very long, possible since ww2, if i turn a bullet there is no corosion where it touches the belt. Its nice bright brass. I am not yet sure if it has tracers, it all seems to be 1938 and 1939 dated sS in a 1940 dated belt in a 1941 dated box.

2015-06-12 18.53.13.jpg 2015-06-12 18.53.22.jpg

2015-06-12 18.54.25.jpg 2015-06-12 17.54.40.jpg

siben

I got another shooting vid/picture. This time I took out my P-14 rifle at 40 meters. A nice shooting WW1 and WW2 second line weapon. Last bullet seems like it always get stuck, i did not figure out yet in the video that i have to push my bolt a bit forwards again to get the last casing out.

2015-06-26 21.59.48.jpg 2015-06-26 20.39.06.jpg 2015-06-26 20.44.48.jpg

Sydd

Mean while in Dubai....
goldAK47.versace.jpg

Nah, just kidding... civs aren't allowed to own weapons, exotic pets like leopards are a different story entirely tho' #FckLogic

Seriously tho' if I wanted to own a weapon for myself, I'd choose the kar 98 for hunting and.. lets see P99 or the M9 for personal defence. I like revolvers but I'd go for the magnum only if I were to choose a revolver. I envy you all owning guns and having fun at the shooting range :c

Last edited:

Jose Almera

you sir, should be on the other side! xD

u know what they say, no cookie for you till u get 11/10!! (kind-a-like the asian sleep meme, "6 hours not enough time to sleep? SLEEP FASTER!" :p)

DerJoachim

And all im left with is a dirty M4.
Sorry that im shooting with low modern M4 carbine, dont throw rotten tomatoes at me pretty please, i have yet to acquire a functioning WW2 weapon (my father possessed an out of order WW2 Mauser pistol taken from my grandfather, a very small one i forget the model, but he got 1 year of jail and the pistol taken and destroyed by local police, well because he didnt had a license and he didnt registered the weapon) such a shame i wanted to refurbish it and use it one day, by the way, i rememebr how is the pistol but not the correct name, anyone can figure out what kind of pistol was this small Mauser pistol my grandfather was using??? it was no ordinary for the army though, it was personal.

Status
Not open for further replies.