• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

News Update #45: Operation Tonga (D-Day Part 3/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
To finalise our updates on this historic day we would like to share something we've long hinted and which took place 70 years ago today. Operation Tonga: Merville Battery.

"Of the many airborne actions that took place in the British Sector of Normandy on June 6th, 1944, few were as hard fought and suffered such mixed results as the assault on Merville Battery. Believed to house 150mm guns capable of smashing British landing operations at Sword Beach, the battery was given high priority for the men of the 9th Parachute Battalion for destruction. On the night of June 5th, 1944, 600 men of the battalion were set to land by glider and parachute into the fields of Normandy, and knock out this crucial German battery.

It was at this point that things went wrong. Not only did the battery only house 100mm Czech M. 14/19 guns, only 150 of the 600 man battalion were actually landed in the right locations and able to organize for the assualt. Amoung the missing were the crucial engineering units which were expected to destroy the guns and bunkers. Meanwhile, air support was for naught, as the British bombers completely missed the bunker, instead plastering the countryside to the south. Despite all this, the attack went on, blasting the wire to bits and the first wave meeting stiff German resistance, as only 4 of the intial wave survived the rain of lead (though more soon followed).

Using what little plastic explosive and other explosive they had, the men of 9th Parachute Battalion went to work, blasting each casemate in turn, silencing the guns and killing or capturing those Germans in the area. Once their work was completed, the battalion left the bunker to continue with their secondary objectives. In total, 75 of the 150 men in the assualt force had become casualties, with German losses being 22 casualties and roughly the same number captured.

However, without the engineers, the destruction was far from total. Not only had the majority of the German battery personnel survive the assault by staying hidden underground, but they were quickly able to bring two of the guns back into service, and began to direct sporadic fire onto those British positions their guns could reach on June 6th. Thus, on June 7th, British Commandos from No. 3 Commando were ordered to assault the battery and wipe it out once and for all. The assualt was a dismal failure, with the Germans more than prepared to meet the assault, and even firing their working guns over open sights on the Commandos, inflicting severe losses. The battery would, in the end, never fall to enemy assualt, and the two surviving guns would continue to bombard British positions until the German general retreat from the area on August 17th, 1944."

For the very latest media and updates follow us on the social networks below, as well as our community forum and our regularly updated media gallery.

TheTurk_007

That detail... That realism.... Its just so beautiful..
And all those houses have interiors and are enterable? WOW!

That is simply a game which is well done. xD

AutumnWind

Nice update!
The map is huge!
So dark and quiet!
Can you imagine this darkness illuminated by gunshots?
I can!
Great work!

VonMudra

Thanks for this update, but I have a question, which artillery guns we're talking about here? I suppose they are not the GPF 155m French howitzers who were believed to be at Point Du Hoc.

Edited: I remember that should be sFH 18(german made) howitzers...

It is answered in the update:

Not only did the battery only house 100mm Czech M. 14/19 guns

Roughbeak

I just found an awesome building in that video: 1:26 (that house with the side garage)! :D

Another thing to note, it is pretty cool to see you used the default SDK's road textures, and used them very resourcefully.

Skr13

It is answered in the update:

Yes, but I'm talking about those 150mm guns that Allies thought that would be there:
Believed to house 150mm guns capable of smashing British landing operations at Sword Beach

In many articles around the web those artillery pieces are only referred as the "150mm guns", but I want to be sure about what military equipment are we talking about, as I think it is the sFH 18 field howitzer, because they were also used later on multiple Normandy battles.

VonMudra

Hard to say. The bunkers were built to a spec that the Allies simply thought would be for housing 150mm sized guns, I don't think they ever had any indication of exactly what size guns it would have. The Germans simply didn't put in said size guns due to equipment shortages, and instead the battery was given what was on hand.

Miller

This game is better than a AAA game, really the video was AMAZING, i know for a fact this game will be great. you guys should make this at least 15$, this quality and the dedication in this game is enormous. your guys are sure one of the best indie teams out their, in my opinion you are the best. keep the work going.

Skr13

This game is better than a AAA game, really the video was AMAZING, i know for a fact this game will be great. you guys should make this at least 15$, this quality and the dedication in this game is enormous. your guys are sure one of the best indie teams out their, in my opinion you are the best. keep the work going.

I agree with almost everything you say, minus the paid game suggestion, and I will tell why:

1. Free game should bring more players to the community and the game itself than if it was required to be purchased;
  2. Being free, leaves devs, less "pressure" to update content constantly because people didn't paid for nothing;
  3. WW2+Realism based game= Excelent opportunity to young people and less young too, to learn more about WW2 and get involved in the subject, if it would be paid, many people could avoid the game;
  4. Ask money from now on, could kill the community very fast, as the game is known to be Play For Free, and changing this could have terrible consequences.

In the other hand, a donation based system, is not bad, as the website for instance, must have its costs, besides other stuff...

Miller

I agree on what you said, and im with you it should stay Free to play. im glad the devs are doing that, that's really generous of you guys.

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
Ya know, all these great comments and wonderful community support makes it so awesome being a part of this dev team. We've had this planned for months, its great to have it so well recieved!

jade72

looks and sounds superb, would be willing to make a donation when you have sorted a means to pay:)

Status
Not open for further replies.