• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

News Update #45: Operation Tonga (D-Day Part 3/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koenigstiger

Ya know, all these great comments and wonderful community support makes it so awesome being a part of this dev team. We've had this planned for months, its great to have it so well recieved!

Can't speak for the gameplay elements but this first look at that beautiful map and that musical composition gave me chills and even some good memories of those old World War 2 games I used to play when I was younger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n-uWmgOm9g

ACH GOTT. JA!

Keep it up guys

sHaKeNbAkE

Fantastic to see some new content for TW....any chance of seeing the same footage/map with a little more lighting as YouTube makes things a little darker? But from what I could see looks very promising...thank you!

4795q3

That looks magnificent. It's good to see that you are paying attention to even tiny details, and of course, the size of map. Keep it up. :)

Miller786

What a conincidence! i both visited the vierville and the merville battery on my trip in normandy 2 years ago!

Troy

Just finally checked the forums after a few weeks, I have to say this looks glorious! Great work!!

mopskind

Well f*** me that looks fantastic! Will you guys add some more ambient light at the edges of the map though? Like burning forests or tracers and lights in the sky?

Like on Guadalcanal in Red Orchestra 2 for example, one of the most intense night maps i have ever played in a game

http://d1vr6n66ssr06c.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/RisingStorm_Guadalcanal_004.jpg

Brothers in Arms did it pretty nice too

http://media.insidepulse.com/zones/diehardgamefan/uploads/2008/10/hells_highway_danger_hd.jpg

Otherwise, kudos to the team and the dedication behind the project!

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
It's for reactions like that we do this ;)

Probably the biggest thing we're not happy with at moment with Merville is the lighting. You can expect changes ;)

Roughbeak

I think the ToD is good, but like Naga said, it could need some tweaks. The overall "blue horizon" is very nicely brought up, but I might suggest tweaking the "Focus Range" and "Blur amount". Too less of those make it very unrealistic. ;) However, devs like you, might have better suggestions.

@General Naga: Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a entity light or a environment probe right above the Horsa where it crashed?

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
We've used lights a few different places, yes, to highlight certain areas a bit better.

When it comes to lights inside housing etc., it purely for the looks and to give the viewer a sense of definition (shadows, how light bounces etc.), and is therefore not entirely representable for the end-product.

Maniche

Lord_Lovat

We've used lights a few different places, yes, to highlight certain areas a bit better.

When it comes to lights inside housing etc., it purely for the looks and to give the viewer a sense of definition (shadows, how light bounces etc.), and is therefore not entirely representable for the end-product.

Maniche

Good to hear. I'm sure every window was blinded for a black out, so allied bombers couldn't see the towns and villages.
I like the progress. Keep up the good work!

DerJoachim

Wow, amazing, i am without words.

That map is splendid, and the background music fit very well, great job, cant wait to play this game.

DerJoachim

Looks so good, but how can I play the game?

Ehehe, you are eating your fingers too, eh???? i cant wait either for this pearl to get finished.

But i am afraid you cant play the game at the moment, unless they invite you to test theyr work in progress builds(wich will never happen ) :)

Rickopops

Ehehe, you are eating your fingers too, eh???? i cant wait either for this pearl to get finished.

But i am afraid you cant play the game at the moment, unless they invite you to test theyr work in progress builds(wich will never happen ) :)

If i'm understanding this right, the game is still in closed Beta?
Some guys on H&G mentioned this game, and told me to get in too....

Status
Not open for further replies.