• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

News Update #50: Operation Deadstick (Part 1/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
News Update #50: Operation Deadstick (Part 1)

[ILEFT][/ILEFT]
At 2256hrs on the 5th of June 1944 six Horsa Gliders, towed by Halifax bombers, took off from RAF Tarrant Rushton in Dorset, starting the events of the allied invasion on D-Day. In the Gliders were 181 men from the 6th Airbourne division "D Company", led by Major John Howard.

Their aim was to capture two bridges. Success would prevent a German counter attack on the eastern flank of the D-Day landings at Sword Beach. Failure would leave the men isolated in enemy territory and make the already risky D-Day landings vulnerable to German Panzers.

At 0016, five of the gliders landed within 50 feet of Bénoville Bridge. When Howard’s glider hit the ground, it jolted the men. Everything went black for Howard and he thought he had gone blind, until one of his men pointed out that his helmet was covering his eyes.

Travelling by glider enabled the British to surprise the German troops defending the bridge. Within 10 minutes of landing, following a fierce gunfight, the British were able to secure not only Bénouville Bridge but also the nearby Orne Bridge. Thus, 90 minutes after taking off, Major Howard was able to send the code words “Ham and Jam” to indicate the successful capture of both bridges. The victory was perhaps the "single most important ten minutes of the war".

The swift victory gave the men two hours to prepare for the German counter attacks and to defuse the explosives that laced the bridge, placed there by the Germans in case of attack or an allied advance.

[IRIGHT][/IRIGHT] At 0050hrs the 7th Parachute Battalion, led by Lieutenant Colonel R.G. Pine-Coffin, landed near Bénouville Bridge. They were widely dispersed but within 40 minutes, Pine-Coffin managed to gather most of his men and set off to help defend the bridges. They split into three companies. "A" Company moved into Bénouville Village, "B" Company into the nearby hamlet of Le Port and "C" Company occupied the Chateau de Bénouville to the south.

"B" Company, in Le Port, were attacked by snipers hiding in the local church. This was ended with a PIAT bomb.

"A" Company were continuously attacked throughout the day by a variety of German forces, including armoured vehicles. They defended themselves with fighting patrols and by 1300hrs they were weary and in need of reinforcement. Unfortunately Lord Lovat's 1 Service Brigade, who arrived at this time, had orders to move on further east so the Paras had to continue to wait for reinforcements. Finally at 2115hrs, the 2nd Batallion of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment arrived from Sword Beach. The Paras were down to 20 men when the last of them were withdrawn to the Allied side of the bridge at 0100hrs on June 7th 1944, over 26 hours after they set off from England.

[ILEFT][/ILEFT]
During the whole operation, the British lost 20 men with 50 wounded. Of those the glider bourne troops of "D" Company had 14 men wounded and only two died; Lieutenant Den Brotheridge and Lance Corporal Fred Greenhalgh, the first casualties of D-Day.

In a number of respects the success of the operation was down to sheer luck. The fact that the Germans didn't hear the gliders landing, which enabled a highly effective stealth attack, and the fact that Hitler had decided that the German Panzer divisions should be stationed closer to Paris. Feldmarschall Rommel, who was in charge of troops in northern France, had wanted them nearer the defences he was building on the coast. The final stroke of luck was that Rommel was in Germany visiting his wife at the time of the attacks.

[IRIGHT][/IRIGHT]After the war, Bénouville Bridge was renamed Pegasus Bridge in commemoration of the bravery of the men who captured the bridge and were a pivotal point in the success of the Allies on D-Day. The name comes from the cap badge of the 6th Airborne Division. Orne Bridge has more recently been renamed Horsa Bridge.

The daring attacks and bravery of the men involved have featured in many films, books and articles and there is a museum near the site of the bridges dedicated in their honour.

Pegasus Bridge itself was replaced in 1993 but the original can still be visited in the museum.

Mémorial Pégasus - Comité du débarquement

In Part 2 will we talking about the level design and some key areas of the map. You can follow on social media for up to the minute news, teasers of Part 2 and the intervening articles we've got scheduled.

Last edited:

FlyingR

Re: News Update #50: Operation Deadstick (Part 1)

Excellent description! Great stuff! Waiting for the video! So does this mean that there will be vehicles? This map will be pretty big then if you're gonna put both bridges, right?

litchu

I do wonder how the Germans managed to not hear the planes land though, but that doesn't take away the fact that im super excited for part 2!

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games

I do wonder how the Germans managed to not hear the planes land though

I do believe they were drunk on cookies, but hey - I won't hold that against them.

Sydd

Holy hell I can't believe Ani and I were right about this! Wahhahaha!! Glad I stayed up...

FlyingR

I do believe they were drunk on cookies, but hey - I won't hold that against them.

I can imagine their conversation being like:
"Raisin cookies ist besten!"
"Nein Hans! Chokolate chippen uber alles!"

Aniallator

Wait... so we'll have the Orne bridge too? Bénouville village, perhaps? Awesome! Can't wait for Part Two :D

Nein, nein, Günter! Buttercookies für den Sieg!

Sydd

Wait... so we'll have the Orne bridge too? Bénouville village, perhaps? Awesome! Can't wait for Part Two :D

Nein, nein, Günter! Buttercookies für den Sieg!

Can you imagine how annoyed they must have been when they open the door thinking its the delivery guy for their cookies, and when they open the door.. British Paras boy I would have loved to see how that conversation would have turned out..

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
Interesting, we'll see how TW's version will fare compared to the one depicted in COD, FH1 & the one upcoming in FH2! I have no doubt it will be awesome!

Also a question, how do the devs plan to address the "surprise factor" that was so crucial to the success of this operation? Because with the Germans ready and pointing their deadly Maschinengewehrs towards the sky, history might end up playing out entirely different... ;)

FlyingR

My thoughts exactly! They will always know where we are coming from... so either the map will be very very very big, there will be restricted areas only for the allies, there will be paradrop spawns apart from glider spawn (spam 9 key anyone?) or allies will have the power to teletransport.

litchu

I think it would be cool if the highest ranked player of the team gets to pick a landing spot and the allies start from that point. That way the axis can't prepare for an attack comming from a specific direction.

I have no idea if that's possible though ( placing the horsa gliders etc. on that position aswell )

FlyingR

I think it would be cool if the highest ranked player of the team gets to pick a landing spot and the allies start from that point. That way the axis can't prepare for an attack comming from a specific direction.

I have no idea if that's possible though ( placing the horsa gliders etc. on that position aswell )

It is what I was sort of asking, having the gliders spawn elsewhere... but apparently that wouldn't be realistic, so the gliders will be placed according to history accuracy. But the paradrops on the other hand...?

Instead of highest ranked it would be better if it could be the squad leaders who could decide where the landings would be, and the squad leaders would have to wait for the Commanders orders. I would love to be it that way! I really can't wait their solution on this!

My question is... there were vehicles in one of the landings... so if they make a map with that landing, will there be vehicles in it? Will the server maps be divided between each sector? The 2 bridges and the city? Or will it be put all in one as a whole big ass map?

litchu

Well what does the team mean with "realism"? They might just have had landed on the other side of the water, which would still be realistic. So the question is if we are just 100% historical accurate re-enacting or if we are willing to modify history a bit and still have a ( small ) element of suprise?

It's a hard subject as you can't except the germans to be suprised after they have been invaded for the 500th time, but there's nothing wrong with everyone giving their opinions and have the devs handle it all :)

FlyingR

I know, that's why I agree with you haha, I believe it would be make it more interesting if the gliders could spawn randomly at an specific area, so it would be different each round. If it was always on the same spot the Germans would have all their guns pointing at them. But yeah, the devs said they have a solution so we have to wait (which I don't want to... I want it now!).

Status
Not open for further replies.