• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Picture of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniallator

There are stories from Salerno, during 16th Panzer's attempted break to the beachhead (my usual example too of why an armoured counter attack on a beachhead where the enemy has total naval superiorty is doomed to failure), of Panzer IV's being literally lifted into the air and turned on their backs by 14in and 16in gun fire. One even noted that the flash fires caused the guys inside to cook to the point at which the bottom of the shell crater their tank was in was filled with liquified human fat....

Whoa. I mean, whoa.

Miller786

Generally, when you see that, it was simply because it got pushed to the side/rolled away from the road by work crews in order to clear the road. Either that, or Naval artillery. There are stories from Salerno, during 16th Panzer's attempted break to the beachhead (my usual example too of why an armoured counter attack on a beachhead where the enemy has total naval superiorty is doomed to failure), of Panzer IV's being literally lifted into the air and turned on their backs by 14in and 16in gun fire. One even noted that the flash fires caused the guys inside to cook to the point at which the bottom of the shell crater their tank was in was filled with liquified human fat....
ouch, no tanks on beachheads when battleships are around, lesson learnt

Fliper

152mm shell vs Panther

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.