• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Picture of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydd

1466d6887fab0380aceef613fa6da030.jpg

2 Ferdinands/Elefant German tank destroyers during the battle of Kursk

Attachments

• ferdinand-at-chu-bai-cua-hitler-trong-tran-vong-cung-kursk-1.jpg
    ferdinand-at-chu-bai-cua-hitler-trong-tran-vong-cung-kursk-1.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Sydd

Flying, what is that?

tumblr_mnipw2i3PM1reh0fqo1_500.jpg
Behold! the Schwerer Gustav 800MM gun in action, Russian front. This railway gun fired off a shell weighing about 7.5 tons at the enemy... In comparison, its twice the size of the guns the biggest battleship on the planet, the IJN yamato carried (18 inch guns for the yamato)

Aniallator

[MENTION=2672]Sydd[/MENTION] Goliaths were among the first UGVs; they were like mobile, remotely-detonating charges, intended to be used against bridges and tanks. Far more humane than their Russian equivalent, charges strapped to dogs who were purposefully starved and taught to find food under German tanks.

Sydd

Impressive I thought ugv's came into existence during the Cold War era. We all know that all nations participating the the war had casualties, regardless of the victors nobody has the right to say that what they did was less evil compared to the other, war is evil, war is hell. This includes the soviets running rampant everywhere

Flying, what is that?

View attachment 1059
Behold! the Schwerer Gustav 800MM gun in action, Russian front. This railway gun fired off a shell weighing about 7.5 tons at the enemy... In comparison, its twice the size of the guns the biggest battleship on the planet, the IJN yamato carried (18 inch guns for the yamato)

Yeah, no. What you've got there is a 28 cm railway gun. If you compare the size of the charges with the heads of the servants, you'll notice that they are smaller than 80 cm.

Also, if you were to fire the Dora, you wouldn't be able to stand next to it because it was so loud it would rupture your eardrums instantly.

Sydd

Yeah, no. What you've got there is a 28 cm railway gun. If you compare the size of the charges with the heads of the servants, you'll notice that they are smaller than 80 cm.

Also, if you were to fire the Dora, you wouldn't be able to stand next to it because it was so loud it would rupture your eardrums instantly.

28cm railway gun was used to guard the atlantic wall correct? Interesting, I was sure the description of that image said it was the gustav.

As far as I know, it was a siege gun in the first place, but it would have been used in the Atlantikwall as a shipkiller, probably in a place that didn't allow for the emplacement of coastal bunkers to house such cannons.

As to the name, a lot of those guns were given a "nickname" of sorts. The 54 and 60 cm mortars had names from Norse mythology. So it isn't inconceivable that that specific gun was given the name Gustav.

Sydd

As far as I know, it was a siege gun in the first place, but it would have been used in the Atlantikwall as a shipkiller, probably in a place that didn't allow for the emplacement of coastal bunkers to house such cannons.

As to the name, a lot of those guns were given a "nickname" of sorts. The 54 and 60 cm mortars had names from Norse mythology. So it isn't inconceivable that that specific gun was given the name Gustav.

True, the mortars were named Thor and Odin, The big railway guns were called gustav and... Dora i think? I am well aware of the nicknames, only.. the description of the image stated it was a gustav and since it was on a railway and it was long.. I though it was pretty accurate :S then again, I think you are right about it not being the gustav.

Status
Not open for further replies.