• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Picture of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skemba!

I dont know, just, Berlin.

Sorry for quoting a big a** picture.

Historical fact about this one. The Russian newspapers that published this image removed multiple wrist watches from the hands of a Russian soldier who can be seen beneath the soldier holding the flag so that people wouldn't percieve the Russian army as looters.

Last edited:

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
The Tower of London has an exhibition currently involving the filling of the old moat with ceramic poppies, titled Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red. Their are a total of 888,246 poppies in the moat, one for each British fatality in the First World War.

Though all the soldiers should be remembered no matter what nation, the scale of this installation is very impressive. It needs to be seen in person for the scale to take effect, but it is - in my opinion - a wonderful memorial. Though the amount of people smiling whilst taking photos of themselves in front of the poppies disturbs me.

@calgoblin

That reminds me. There are 53 Villages throughout England that are "Thankful Villages" that saw everyone who served in the first world war return safe and sound.

There are 13 "Doubly Thankful Villages" that saw everyone return home safely both from the first world war AND the second world war.

In France, the village of Thierville is the only village in the whole country that saw everyone return safely from the first world war.

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
In France, the village of Thierville is the only village in the whole country that saw everyone return safely from the first world war.

Interesting facts, I didn't know that either. I tend to go against the whole patriotism thing for these events; it wasn't one single country that lost lives, the whole world did. I was debating whether to post the poppies or not solely for that reason.

You know what, we need a remembrance thread...

Interesting facts, I didn't know that either. I tend to go against the whole patriotism thing for these events; it wasn't one single country that lost lives, the whole world did. I was debating whether to post the poppies or not solely for that reason.

You know what, we need a remembrance thread...

To be honest I'm in the middle ground on the patriotism thing concerning this stuff. I find I can revel in and glorify the achievements of both sides in a conflict. I can be patriotic, while respecting the other side as well. Conflics are gross, crude and brutal. Yet, we can lay a flower on the grave of the dead figuratively speaking by creating a bit of "virtual beauty" by recognizing the heroic achievements of those who served. Sitting back and admiring the glory of it all can give the dead a better memory than sheer bitterness. Because conflicts between nations are large, through an act of patriotism we can give the dead of all participating nations that flower on their grave by remembering them and their actions. Both recognizing the terrible actions of the war but remembering and commemorating the amazing achievements of those who fought.

Aniallator

image.jpg

Pacific theater, the arresting cables on this carrier appear to have snapped as this plane, a Corsair I believe, attempted to land.

Simon

This was taken in my hometown Maribor, Slovenia (Central Europe) back in the day until 1992 this was called Yugoslavia (Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Macedonia were all 1 country) It was also allied with Nazis for some time, but not for long, and this picture shows Hitler walking on bridge when he was visting us.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
All the more poignant [MENTION=1855]siben[/MENTION]s for him being a relation. Did he make it back okay?

VonMudra

Generally, when you see that, it was simply because it got pushed to the side/rolled away from the road by work crews in order to clear the road. Either that, or Naval artillery. There are stories from Salerno, during 16th Panzer's attempted break to the beachhead (my usual example too of why an armoured counter attack on a beachhead where the enemy has total naval superiorty is doomed to failure), of Panzer IV's being literally lifted into the air and turned on their backs by 14in and 16in gun fire. One even noted that the flash fires caused the guys inside to cook to the point at which the bottom of the shell crater their tank was in was filled with liquified human fat....

Status
Not open for further replies.