• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Picture of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller786

Nice picture you got there.
Im from italy and i can tell you that most (and most famous)troops sent in russia were alpini (word comes from alps), troops trained to fight in the mountains and absolutely not in the plain or steppe, this plus the enourmos lack of equipment led to a certain defeat.

VonMudra

The Alpini still fought wonderfully, bravely, and heroically. In yet another classic case of how the Germans treated their allies, they were left behind by the Germans, and ended up holding the lines and doing the fighting retreat whilst the Germans ran away.

If anyone wants to know more of this, I'd highly recommend this book for a moving (at points almost to tears) account of the alpini at Stalingrad:

Sacrifice on the Steppe: The Italian Alpine Corps in the Stalingrad Campaign, 1942-1943: Hope Hamilton: 9781612000022: Amazon.com: Books

Tis simply a wonderful read.

For picture, I shall post the cover of the book, as it's image is two photos of the italian death march away from Stalingrad. In total, of 235,000 men, the Italian Army in Russia suffered 23,000 killed and missing, 34,474 wounded and frostbitten, and 84,000 captured or missing (It's hard to say how many were captured, as the Russians didn't number them up until reaching the POW camps, and thousands died in enroute. Of around 54,000 they actually registered, 45,000 died in the camps).

As the Italian weapons had frozen completely solid and were unusable in combat, the Italian troops resorted to knives, bayonets, and shovels during assaults on Russian held towns which blocked their path to freedom. So if anyone insults the bravery of Italian troops in WW2, just remember to bring up how Italian soldiers, half frozen, starving, and exhausted, were assaulting Russian held positions with nothing but bayonets. At the Battle of Nikolayevka, the Italians at long last broke through the encirclement, led by the remaining combat-capable men of the Alpini- 4000 men of what had been 30,000. Behind them came the last 36,000 of the army, and the italians, with a few Germans and Hungarians that had joined with them, managed to finally reach Axis lines again. After that, all but a few rear line units were pulled out of Russia, and the Facist regime in Italy tried it's best to hide them from the public due to their appaling physical state. This of course didn't work so well, and many of the returning soldiers went on to become partisans or join the Co-Belligerent Army after Italy switched sides.

Last edited:

Miller786

No doubt on their heroical sacrifice...
I know a good book called 100000 gavette di ghiaccio,however i couldnt find an english translation, i suppose you dont speak italian, right? ;)
I also remember a good film about italian soldiers trying to get home affer the end of the war however many remained stuck there for years, most of the trained were reserved to russian soldiers. Dont remeber the title though, i will PM if i find out.
Im also glad to hear that the alpini are well known outsider of italy too.

Miller786

Sorry about the errors above, like affer instead of after and trained instead of trains but it wont let me edit it from my ipad

Gully

Re: On this day...

[h=2]P-38 machine gun firing test. 50 caliber machine guns firing with every 5th shell a tracer in 3 second bursts.[/h]

VonMudra

R.i.p ......................

RIP to whom?

Tiger crewmen, wearing Heer HBT tunics rather than their usual black wools. Photo probably taken somewhere far too muggy and hot to wear wool uniforms inside a tank. Of interest, only the man in the middle has bothered to switch out the collar litzen for panzer tabs.

VonMudra

Yeah, that's a panther turm. Many were used in Italy as well on the Gothic and Winter lines. This is what it actually was:

And here's an Italian front example:

Status
Not open for further replies.