• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Picture of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniallator

I agree there... though I've no idea what mortar they're using! On a lighter note, look at this photo of a marine with a kitten, PTO.

image.jpg

Luffy

Picture of me 44.jpgM1 Carbine used in both fronts! Can't really find any good WW2 pictures you guys already are doing that so, I'll just post my artwork!

Aniallator

image.jpg

Stonne, a village in the Ardennes, changed hands no less than seventeen times from 15th to 17th May, 1940, with the Germans eventually prevailing. One Char B1 bis heavy tank, under the command of Pierre Bilotte, single-handedly destroyed no less than two anti-tank guns, two Panzer IVs, and eleven Panzer IIIs, and though his tank was hit by 140 shells, it survived.

During the battle for Stonne, the Char B1 bis in the photo was fired on by German soldiers. This was a mistake. The tank turned on them an opened fire, killing many. In their panic, many Germans attempted to hide in shallow ditches along the road, but the tank just ran the ditches over, crushing the Germans underneath. When Germans encountered the same tank later during the battle and saw its tracks covered in human entrails, they dubbed it the Butcher of Stonne.

The battle was called the Verdun of 1940 by the French, and a German officer ranked it as memorable as Monte Cassino and Stalingrad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 4

Aniallator

image.jpg

Despite its 56 tons, this Tiger I was lifted upside down by the bombardment preceeding operation Goodwood, near Manneville, France, 1944.

Status
Not open for further replies.